PG Cert Business and Management (Oil and Gas)
Develop key management skills with a focus on their applications within the oil and gas industry with this postgraduate short course.
There is a high demand for competent and confident managers within this multi-trillion dollar industry, and this course makes it practical for you to cultivate the skills necessary to succeed while fitting around your existing work commitments.
During the course, you will delve into topics such as:
- the main principles and practices of contemporary management and organisational behaviour,
- financial decision making in the short and long term,
- the social, political and environmental challenges present within different oil and gas geographic markets.
Our Postgraduate Certificate is available as a standalone qualification, but you can also progress onto either of our PG Dip or MSc Business and Management (Oil and Gas) or our PG Dip or MSc Project Management (Oil and Gas) after you complete your course.
Why we’re great
- Designed specifically for professionals within the oil and gas industry who wish to improve their managerial skills.
- Global recognition and validation by the University of Essex rated 29th in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019.
- No need to take a break – complete this course 100% online and part-time around your existing work.
The PG Cert Business and Management (Oil and Gas) degree is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 60 credits at Level 7.
Level 7 modules:
- Management: Principle and Practices (20 credits)
- Financial Decision Making (20 credits)
- Oil and Gas Management (20 credits)*
* These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
Learning and assessments
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
Our courses are delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you will have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- multimedia lecturecasts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments,
- discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students,
- live Q&A sessions with your tutors,
- a comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals,
- support from academic staff and your personal Student Adviser.
To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, we cap our class sizes at 20 students.
Rather than fretting about exams, you will be assessed exclusively through assignments. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, completing reflective journal entries, or by submitting longer written pieces.
We are committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback through the following ways:
- Our assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent.
- You will always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme.
- You will be able to view your marks clearly in your grade book whenever you log onto the learning platform.
- There is a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work.
- You will have regular contact with your Student Adviser, with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise.
Our PG Cert Business and Management (Oil and Gas) course has an indicative study duration of 8 months which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen, and module availability.
It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
Our academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
All of our courses have regular start dates throughout the year.
On successful completion of your degree, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex, Colchester Campus.
This specialist postgraduate course will enable you to accelerate your career within the oil and gas industry, making the move from mid-management roles to senior management and even executive-level roles. The commercial skills and knowledge you gain will also be transferable to a range of other careers within the business sector, including business management, sales, retail, human resources, business development and many others.
We know that many people from non-traditional backgrounds would succeed in our courses! That’s why we offer two different entry routes, taking into account your prior work experience and relevant qualifications. You will also need to meet our English Language Requirements.
Additionally, you will need to pass your first assignment set within the first three weeks of the course in order to continue with your studies.
Academic Entry Route
In order to satisfy the Academic Entry Route requirements for our PG Dip Business and Management (Oil and Gas), you must have the following qualifications as a minimum:
- an undergraduate degree from an approved institution, equivalent to a UK Honours degree, or a relevant professional qualification
Work Experience Entry Route
In order to satisfy the Work Experience Entry Route requirements for our PG Dip Business and Management (Oil and Gas), you must meet the following criteria:
- at least five years’ management level work experience
English Language Requirements
As our courses are delivered in English, high proficiency with English is required. If English is not your first language, your English ability should be equivalent to an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5. Don’t worry if you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification – we offer a free online English test to assess your proficiency.