*subject to validation
Apply now to get an early bird discount up to £1,000.
Immerse yourself in the many different roles illustration has to play in today’s globalised world with Falmouth University’s MA Illustration course. With its flexible online format, the course enables you to connect with a global network of like-minded creatives, offering a learning experience and creative space like no other. You’ll explore exciting new and innovative approaches to illustration, as well as illustration’s role as one of the world’s most vital means of visual communication. As a world-leading creative industries university, Falmouth has a rich history and a renowned reputation for creative excellence, with many Falmouth graduates going on to receive international recognition for their creative work. As a Falmouth MA Illustration graduate, you’ll join this international community of Falmouth alumni and get the opportunity to also make your mark and make solid connections within the visual communication industry. You’ll have the opportunity to push creative boundaries to become a thought leader on best practice in illustration.
- Award Title: MA Illustration
- Awarding Body: Falmouth University
- Level: 7
- Mode of study: online, part-time
- Duration: 2 years
Falmouth’s MA Illustration course is designed to develop illustrators who:
Innovate and consistently stay at the forefront of developments in the ever-evolving global world of visual communication.
Demonstrate the innate ability to solve communication problems visually – effectively and professionally.
Display an understanding and acceptance of the cultural, social and environmental responsibilities that come with illustration practice.
Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the multiple contexts within which illustration operates, including cultural, historical, theoretical and practical contexts.
Define their own illustration practice against a backdrop of rapidly-increasing technological changes, with both local and global audiences in mind.
Confidently collaborate with like-minded creative professionals from around the globe.
Welcome teamwork and independent critical judgement as part of their professional development.
After completing your MA in Illustration with Falmouth, these are just some of the career paths you could pursue:
- Graphic design
- Concept artistry
- Creative advertising
- Web design
- Art direction
- Freelance illustration
Who is this course designed for?
This course is designed to equip you with the knowledge and expertise you need to make your mark in the global visual communication industry and to build solid connections within the industry that will see you throughout your creative career.
With the support of a teaching team that are industry-leaders in their field, you’ll acquire strong practical, mark-making and drawing skills and expertise. You might already have an an undergraduate degree in illustration or a related subject, be in a junior creative role, or an already-established illustrator simply wanting to take a different direction with their illustrative work.
You might also be wanting to:
- Try out various forms of media and test their ability to communicate ideas visually.
- Deepen your understanding of a variety of audiences and their unique needs.
- Explore various methods and strategies to solve problems visually.
- Hone your skills in observational drawing and in being able to visually generate ideas.
- Understand the different contexts associated with illustration.
- Develop your own unique visual voice.
- Understand the part that storytelling plays in effective visual communication.
- Develop your own marketing strategy for your personal practice.
- Further enhance your creative thinking from an analytical and critical perspective.
- Develop a keen understanding of the global visual communication industry.
- Establish and grow professional networks within the industry.
What will the course cover?
The course is made up of 4 modules worth 30 credits each and 1 project worth 60 credits (180 credits in total). You’ll need to complete and pass all course modules to successfully complete the course.
How you’ll be assessed
Your competencies in each course module will be assessed using various assessment methods, including:
- Practical assignments, including online presentations and portfolios
- Written assignments, including research journals
- Work-based assignments related to your own practice where you’ll have the opportunity to apply the skills you’ve learnt during the course
How you’ll study
You can decide how you’d like to study the course. You can either choose to:
- Study the course completely online; or
- Study the course online and attend face-to-face networking events
You’ll have the chance to attend up to 2 networking events a year. Dates and locations vary, but these events are usually held over a weekend to minimise disruption to your work schedule.
How you’ll learn
You’ll learn each module of the course in various ways that encourage peer interaction as well as independent study. These include:
- Online discussions
- Online forums, seminars and tutorials
- Team-based activities
- Practical online workshops
- Practice critiques
- Independent study
- Peer feedback and self-evaluation
Paying for your course
When paying for your course, you may be eligible to apply for one of these discounts:
- Early bird discount
- Falmouth Flexible Bursary
- Alumni discount (15% for Falmouth alumni)
- Refer a friend reward
For more information about these discounts or other financial assistance available to help you with your studies, please call us on +44 (0)1223 447713.
Terms and conditions apply.
How to apply
- Submit your completed online application form
- Send us a copy of your degree certificate or Level 6 equivalent qualification, and a copy of your IELTS certificate if English isn’t your native language
- Send us a digital portfolio of your illustrative work. This can include work you’ve already published or a personal project, and can be sent to us as a link to a blog or website.
About the School
Established in 1902, we’ve previously been the Falmouth School of Art, Falmouth College of Art and Design and the University College Falmouth.