- Course Duration: 24 - 32 months part-time*
- Course Fees: $3,300 per subject. FEE-HELP is available.
- Course Study Periods: January, March, May, July, September, October
- Course Subjects: 12-16
* Duration depends on Recognition of Prior Learning
100% Online and Flexible Learning
At JCU Online, our Masters in Data Science puts professionals who recognise the power of data and numbers ahead of the pack. Fully online, this is an innovative and technologically dynamic postgraduate course.
Delivered by leading experts with deep academic knowledge and real-world industry experience, this online data science masters degree provides the foundation you need to open a wealth of opportunities in a data-driven world and progress your career.
- Put yourself at the forefront of the data science revolution
- One of the fastest Masters degree in this field in Australia
- Delivered by respected interdisciplinary academics and industry leaders
- Develop skills and knowledge from experts with real-world experience
The Master of Data Science welcomes applications from students who are able to meet the following criteria:
- A Bachelor degree (whilst not a prerequisite for entry, high numeracy skills equivalent to senior-level mathematics that includes algebra and elementary differential calculus is assumed); or
- At least five years of relevant work experience in an IT or data science-related industry. Industry experience will need to include some background in computing, data analysis or programming. Application-based on relevant industry experience must be supported by a detailed CV and proof of work experience.
Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
What you will study
You will study 12 to 16 subjects, depending on your entry point. Subjects can be undertaken across any of the six study periods throughout the year. With up to six subjects on offer per year, you can choose to sit a study period out to suit your changing personal and professional schedule and circumstances.
An interdisciplinary approach means you’ll acquire relevant knowledge from across the mathematics, information technology and business domains, delivered by experts in research, academia, business and of course, data science. This varied approach delivers a flexible knowledge base and skill set, adding weight to employability.
- Data and Information: Management, Security, Privacy, and Ethics
- Big Data: Management and Processing
- Data Science and Strategic Decision Making
- Data Mining and Machine Learning
- Data Science Master Class 1
- Data Science Master Class 2
- Data Science Project (6 credit points) - composed of Part A and Part B
Assessment includes a combination of completed coursework, assignments and online examinations. Students receive regular feedback on their progress via online forums and individual consultations with academic staff.
The JCU Master of Data Science comprises subjects which also form part of the JCU Graduate Certificate and Graduate Diploma of Data Science. This provides the potential to gain an alternative postgraduate qualification, should you choose not to complete the course in its entirety.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
JCU recognizes the value of past study and real-world experience. Exemptions or credits for elective subjects will be considered on a case-by-case basis, upon submission of verifiable supporting documentation.
You are welcome to contact the JCU Science and Engineering enrolments officer to discuss your circumstances and develop a tailored programme of study.
Personalised support for your success
JCU’s online Master of Data Science is backed by our commitment to personally supporting and encouraging you for the duration of your learning journey. Receive regular, personalized contact and support from your own Success Advisor throughout the entirety of your study. With regular opportunities to interact with peers and academic staff, learning online with JCU is always engaging.
What's more, JCU’s strong links with industry and research sectors mean you’ll have the opportunity to expand your professional network and explore new career opportunities as you work towards the completion of your qualification.
About the School
James Cook University is a world-leading university based in tropical Australia. For more than 50 years, we've been helping our students gain the skills they need to propel their careers and make a di ... Read More