- Course Duration: 24 - 32 months part-time*
- Course Fees: $3,100 per subject. FEE-HELP is available.
- Course Study Periods: Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sept, Oct
- Course Subjects: 12 - 16
* Duration depends on Recognition of Prior Learning
Are you looking to leverage expert knowledge of data science to propel your career in business or research? James Cook University’s Master of Data Science is an innovative, fully online course that puts professionals who recognize the power of data and numbers ahead of the pack, in one of the world’s fastest-growing sectors.
Delivered by award-winning teaching staff and leading experts with deep academic knowledge and real-world industry experience, this Masters degree provides the foundation you need to open a wealth of opportunities in a data-driven world.
The Master of Data Science degree will culminate in capstone subject, involving masterclasses and a major project. You will be embedded in industry, research and government departments where possible and required to solve complex data-driven, real-world problems, creating a portfolio that can be used to highlight skills to future employers.
An accelerated learning model makes this course one of Australia’s fastest part-time Masters in this field. Future-proof your career in the business or research arena with sought-after data science skills, acquired at a time and place that suits you.
- Access study 24/7 online: Fast-track your career with 100% online study. Balance your study around work and family – wherever and whenever suits you.
- Qualifications that count: Business and other industries are starting to recognize the invaluable need for data scientists. Put yourself at the forefront of the data science revolution with an in-demand degree.
- Interdisciplinary education delivered better: Delivered by respected interdisciplinary academics and industry experts, boost your career with skills that count in the real world with one of Australia’s fastest part-time Masters in this field.
The Master of Data Science welcomes applications from students who are able to meet the following criteria:
- A Bachelor degree (whilst not a prerequisite for entry, high numeracy skills equivalent to senior level mathematics that includes algebra and elementary differential calculus is assumed); OR
- At least five years of relevant work experience in an IT or data science-related industry. Industry experience will need to include some background in computing, data analysis or programming.Application based on relevant industry experience must be supported by a detailed CV and proof of work experience.
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
What you will study
You will study 12 to 16 subjects, depending on your entry point. Subjects can be undertaken across any of the six study periods throughout the year. With up to six subjects on offer per year, you can choose to sit a study period out to suit your changing personal and professional schedule and circumstances.
An interdisciplinary approach means you’ll acquire relevant knowledge from across the mathematics, information technology and business domains, delivered by experts in research, academia, business and of course, data science. This varied approach delivers a flexible knowledge base and skill set, adding weight to employability.
Graduate Certificate subjects
- Foundations of Data Science
- Statistical Methods for Data Science
- Data Visualisation
- Database Systems
Graduate Diploma subjects
- Programming and Data Analytics using Python
- Essential Mathematics for Data Scientists
- Introduction to Data Mining
- Advanced Statistical Methods for Data Scientists
- Data and Information: Management, Security, Privacy, and Ethics
- Big Data: Management and Processing
- Data Science and Strategic Decision Making
- Data Mining and Machine Learning
- Data Science Master Class 1
- Data Science Master Class 2
- Data Science Project (6 credit points) - composed of Part A and Part B
Assessment includes a combination of completed coursework, assignments and online examinations. Students receive regular feedback on their progress via online forums and individual consultations with academic staff.
The JCU Master of Data Science comprises subjects which also form part of the JCU Graduate Certificate and Graduate Diploma of Data Science. This provides the potential to gain an alternative postgraduate qualification, should you choose not to complete the course in its entirety.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
JCU recognizes the value of past study and real-world experience. Exemptions or credits for elective subjects will be considered on a case-by-case basis, upon submission of verifiable supporting documentation.
You are welcome to contact the JCU Science and Engineering enrolments officer to discuss your circumstances and develop a tailored program of study.
Personalised support for your success
JCU’s online Master of Data Science is backed by our commitment to personally supporting and encouraging you for the duration of your learning journey. Receive regular, personalized contact and support from your own Success Advisor throughout the entirety of your study. With regular opportunities to interact with peers and academic staff, learning online with JCU is always engaging.
What's more, JCU’s strong links with industry and research sectors mean you’ll have the opportunity to expand your professional network and explore new career opportunities as you work towards the completion of your qualification.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 21, 2018