At a Glance
Your studies will cover modern finance and investment theory to provide you with solid foundations and practical business techniques so that you are fully aware of the implications and assumptions in use. You will learn to critically appreciate the limitations of modern finance and investment methodologies and to apply them in different contexts.
The programme is industry-focussed and makes extensive use of real-world examples to examine the application of your learning. In the final semester, you will work on the Industry Collaboration Project, a live industry brief either for your own employer or with another organisation. You will choose one of four options to look at a real industry problem and provide researched solutions, helping you put your learning into practice.
- Normally a minimum 2:2 honours degree or equivalent.
- A wide range of professional qualifications is also accepted either in partial or complete fulfilment of entry requirements.
- We welcome applications from students who may not have formal/traditional entry criteria but who have relevant experience or the ability to pursue the course successfully.
The scheme has been designed to meet the aims of the online MSc in a flexible manner and can be tailored to the individual preferences of each student. The MSc requires you to complete four courses plus a final dissertation. The programme consists of the following modules:
- This is the first module of the programme which gives an orientation to the course and the online learning style. It does not carry credits and students are encouraged to go through the material in this module at their own pace and get accustomed to the online medium.
120 credits, four taught modules
- Risk, Portfolio and Investment Analysis
- Corporate and Quantitative Finance
- Fixed Income and Derivative Securities Analysis
- Equity Valuation and Financial Analysis
- Mandatory one-week residency held in Salford, United Kingdom, or Zürich, Switzerland.
60 credits, Individual dissertation
- A conventional dissertation of 12,000 to 15,000 words, consisting of a research question, aims and objectives, the rationale for undertaking the study, literature review, research methodology, analysis of findings, conclusions and recommendations.
There are no average courses on our MSc programme. We are bound to provide an exceptional learning experience, and there is no better way to achieve this aim than with outstanding courses. They have been carefully crafted by experienced professors and are all meant to make you a more successful and efficient manager.
There are no old-fashioned exams. Instead, you are given real-life case studies and essays, which allow you to think critically about your company and your own career. All this might seem too glossy but there is one catch: we do not accept average candidates. Only individuals as outstanding as our values can find their way toward admission at the Robert Kennedy College.
- A not-for-credit induction module will be the starting point of the programme. The induction process is designed to familiarise you with the programme design, requirements and resources, as well as with the way online interaction, learning and grading will take place. After the induction, you should be familiar with academic life, including academic writing, library services and library access, OnlineCampus access, and academic support services.
Risk, Portfolio and Investment Analysis
- Risk Portfolio and Investment Analysis aims to help you understand and apply the general principles behind modern risk management approaches. In this module, you will devise strategies to use modern portfolio management approaches and critically evaluate the limitations of modern statistical techniques in making financial decisions.
Corporate and Quantitative Finance
- In this module, you will critically assess modern corporate governance in light of the recent financial crisis and review the ethical issues in running modern firms. You will also critically assess modern capital structure theory, the risks and opportunities involved in mergers and acquisitions and the limitations and applications of statistical methods in finance.
Fixed Income and Derivative Securities Analysis
- This module aims to help you understand and apply the general principles behind the valuation of fixed income and derivative securities. You will devise strategies to solve problems facing institutional investors, governments and transnational bodies.
Equity Valuation and Financial Analysis
- This module involves the evaluation of the theoretical basis of modern equity valuation and the concepts behind financial reporting. You will examine the impact of market and accounting based factors on the performance of firm equity value and devise strategies to minimise the risks associated with equity valuation.
Minimum 12 months, maximum 3 years.
Mostly online via OnlineCampus (an interactive online learning environment) with intensive class discussion and collaboration, plus a one-week compulsory residency.
The number of places per term is strictly limited to 90.
Four terms per year (winter, spring, summer and autumn).
13,000 CHF (Swiss Francs). This fee includes library access, OnlineCampus access, graduation fees, and University matriculation fees. Fees are payable in interest-free instalments, however, the programme is not eligible for UK Postgraduate Loans for Master’s Study. The fees are for the entire programme and include all the courses as well as supervision for the final dissertation. Residency costs, such as airfare and accommodation, plus a 2,000 CHF (Swiss Francs) tuition fee for the residency, and some of the textbooks that you will need for the course are not included in these fees.
Accreditation and Recognition
All the University of Salford M.Sc. degrees programmes offered online are recognised worldwide. The University of Salford received a Royal Charter in 1967 by Her Majesty the Queen. The University of Salford is fully recognised by the British Government.
About the School
Our mission is to provide academic excellence in distance education for students worldwide, through application of leading-edge technologies. Robert Kennedy College is a private educational institutio ... Read More