Become a confident and daring indie game developer, producing vibrant and engaging experiences for gamers.
- Award title: MA Indie Game Development
- Awarding body: Falmouth University
- Level: 7
- Mode of study: Online, part-time
- Duration: Two years
- Total tuition fees for the two-year course: £10,900 (including £250 acceptance fee)
- Additional costs: To complete your coursework, you’ll require a desktop/laptop at an expense of around £1,300, capable of running games engines and 3D Modelling software, as well as Canvas, our online learning platform.
Masters degree summary
Do you have the aesthetic vision and ambition to create original indie games?
Commingle design tools, programming languages, game engines, as well as specialist middleware and frameworks into your game development practice.
Examine methodically the principles of the creative process, from the ideation and design until the delivery and dissemination.
Inquire into business models that are used by indie games studios to get an idea of how you can start up your own. If you already have one, get it off the ground with help from a mentor.
The MA in Indie Game Development is part of Falmouth’s Games Academy, one of the largest dedicated game development studio spaces of any UK university. In 2020 it was featured in The Princeton Review as one of the top 50 games schools in the world.
The Academy is full of people working in all aspects of the games industry, creating real games and digital products every day. We primarily use Unity as our game engine but have the expertise that spans a wide range of tools.
Our Academy's 'Doing it for real' approach will give great benefits, as an MA in Indie Game Development student.
On Falmouth Flexible’s MA Indie Game Development, you’ll:
- Design and implement digital and non-digital games.
- Apply the principles of design and creativity to generate fun and playful experiences.
- Learn to use industry-standard platforms for making games and adapt to their technical constraints.
- Apply primary and secondary research methods drawn from game studies and the broader design science literature.
- Use methods from business and analytics to better understand how people engage with games and game companies.
- Adopt both technical and artistic perspectives as part of a design thinking process to deliver novel games.
- Collaborate across disciplinary boundaries, an increasingly important skill in the games industry.
- Practice game design across a range of application domains, including gamification and serious games.
- Keep and control the Intellectual Property (IP) of any games you produce.
Who is this masters degree for?
The MA in Indie Game Development is for anyone who wants to bring their creative and artistic skills and ambitions to indie game development.
If you want to launch your own small business of production and sale of indie games, our Indie Game Start-Up and Major Project modules will help you innovate and develop your business idea, with mentoring made available to support you.
The critical thinking and research skills you learn on the course can also be used to a range of careers, including:
- Indie games
- Game design
- Digital art
- Creative technology
- Immersive art
MA Indie Game Development
You will study how to produce original and creatively distinguished games based on your own intellectual property, that clearly illustrates how they can engage an audience. You will be able to critically reflect upon and evaluate working methods and find the most effective ways to collaborate on projects. You will learn how to throw your ideas, communicate concepts and present artefacts with clarity and enthusiasm.
You will need to complete four 30-credit modules and one 60-credit project (180 credits in total). All modules on the course are compulsory and must be passed in order to complete the award.
You will need to complete four 30-credit modules (120 credits in total). All modules on the course are compulsory and must be passed in order to complete the award. A dissertation (major project) is not required.
*Please note: the order of modules may differ to that stated below.
|Co-creative Design and Development Practice||30|
|Indie Game Start-Up||30|
|Final Major Project||60|
You will need:
- An honours degree or Level 6 equivalent qualification.
- Proof of proficiency in English (minimum overall score of IELTS 6.5 with at least 6.0 in Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening or TOEFL IBT (Internet Based Test) with a minimum of 88 overall and at least 21 in all 4 components).
We also accept a range of equivalent recognised English language qualifications. Candidates without a degree or formal qualification are still encouraged to apply. For more information regarding equivalent international qualifications and Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) please email us.
About the School
Established in 1902, we’ve previously been the Falmouth School of Art, Falmouth College of Art and Design and the University College Falmouth.