- Course Duration: 16 months part-time*
- Course Fees: $3,300 per subject. FEE-HELP is available.
- Course Study Periods: Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sept, Oct
- Course Subjects: 8
*Duration depends on Recognition of Prior Learning
Looking to steer your career to take advantage of the data science revolution? Organisations are continuing to recognize the importance and benefits of research and extensive analysis of raw data. James Cook University’s online Graduate Diploma of Data Science can give you the skills and networks to place you at the forefront of this fast-moving information revolution.
Delivered by expert teaching staff with deep academic knowledge and real-world industry and research experience, this course will provide you with the cutting-edge knowledge to discover a wealth of new career opportunities.
An accelerated learning model makes this course one of Australia's fastest graduate diploma qualifications. Set yourself on the right track with data science skills and knowledge, studied wherever and whenever suits you.
- Maximise your career outcomes: Gain a qualification from an internationally recognized university and take advantage of career growth in this booming and in-demand industry.
- Gain qualifications sooner: JCU offers study pathways to enable you to take your education even further. Use your Graduate Diploma to build towards your Masters, with flexible entry and completion.
- On-demand support: Study online and access support when and where you need it. With fully online learning, you’re only ever a click away from live chat sessions with tutors, academics and classmates.
The online JCU Graduate Diploma of Data Science welcomes applications from students who are able to meet the following criteria:
- A Bachelor degree, plus high school intermediate level mathematics (basic algebra and differential calculus)*; or at least five years of relevant work experience (high numeracy skills)
- A Bachelor degree in a relevant discipline (mathematics, statistics, physics, IT, computer science, engineering); or a Graduate Certificate in Data Science.
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
*JCU offers a specified online mathematics subject, which can be completed prior to application if you do not currently meet the mathematical entry requirement level.
What you will study
An interdisciplinary approach means you’ll acquire relevant knowledge from across the mathematics, information technology and business domains, delivered by academics with real-world experience.
You will study eight subjects. Subjects can be undertaken across any of the six study periods throughout the year. With up to six subjects on offer per year, you can choose to sit a study period out to suit your changing personal and professional schedule and circumstances.
Graduate Diploma subjects
- Programming and Data Analytics using Python
- Essential Mathematics for Data Scientists
- Introduction to Data Mining
- Advanced Statistical Methods for Data Scientists
Assessment consists of a combination of coursework, assignments and online examinations. Students receive regular feedback on their progress via online forums and individual consultations with academic staff.
The JCU Graduate Diploma of Data Science comprises subjects which also form part of the JCU Master of Data Science.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
JCU recognizes the value of past study and real-world experience. Exemptions or credits for subjects will be considered on a case-by-case basis, upon submission of verifiable supporting documentation.
Contact a JCU Enrolment Advisor to discuss your circumstances and develop a tailored program of study.
Personalised support for your success
The JCU Graduate Diploma in Data Science is a 100% online course, backed by our commitment to personally supporting and encouraging you for the duration of your learning journey. You will receive ongoing, personalized support from your own Success Advisor, who will be there when you need them for assistance, and who will work to keep you on track towards achieving your study goals.
What's more, JCU’s strong links with industry and research sectors mean you’ll have the opportunity to expand your professional network and explore new career opportunities as you work towards the completion of your qualification. With regular opportunities to interact with peers and academic staff, learning online with JCU is always engaging.
About the School
James Cook University is a world-leading university based in tropical Australia. For more than 50 years, we've been helping our students gain the skills they need to propel their careers and make a di ... Read More