- Course Duration: 8 months part-time
- Course Fees: $3,300 per subject. FEE-HELP is available.
- Course Study Periods: Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sept, Oct
- Course Subjects: 4
Looking to embrace the data science revolution as part of your job specification or steer your career in a whole new direction?
Organisations of all stripes continue to recognize and explore the insights and advantages linked to extensive analysis of raw data. The global business and research sectors offer a wealth of opportunity to professionals who hold an understanding of the applications of data analytics through career growth, new role creation, and recruitment.
James Cook University’s online Graduate Certificate of Data Science is a fast way to gain the foundation knowledge you need to maximize opportunities in a data-driven world.
Delivered by expert teaching staff with deep academic knowledge and real-world industry experience, the program of study will provide you with current knowledge that will be the catalyst for a wealth of new career opportunities.
An accelerated learning model allows you to complete this course in as little as eight months. Set yourself on the right track with data science expertise, acquired at a time and pace that suits your schedule.
- Accelerate your study: Benefit from our accelerated, intensive learning structure. Study one subject at a time across a seven-week period, and complete your qualification in under a year.
- Qualifications that count: Build on your success with a postgraduate qualification that helps propel your entry to the big data sphere.
- Access study 24/7 online: Fast-track your career with 100% online study. Balance your course around work and family – wherever and whenever suits you.
The JCU Graduate Certificate of Data Science welcomes applications from students who are able to meet the following criteria:
- A Bachelor degree, plus high school intermediate level mathematics (basic algebra and differential calculus)*; or at least five years of relevant work experience (high numeracy skills)
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
*JCU offers a specified online mathematics subject, which can be completed prior to application if you do not currently meet the mathematical entry requirement level.
What you will study
An interdisciplinary approach means you’ll acquire relevant knowledge from across the mathematics, information technology and business domains, delivered by academics with deep experience in research and business.
You will study the following four subjects:
Graduate Certificate subjects
- Foundations of Data Science
- Statistical Methods for Data Science
- Data Visualisation
- Database Systems
Assessment includes a combination of coursework, assignments and online examinations. Students receive regular feedback on their progress via online forums and individual consultations with academic staff.
The JCU Graduate Certificate in Data Science comprises subjects which also form part of the JCU Master of Data Science and JCU Graduate Diploma of Data Science. There is potential to expand your knowledge further by articulating to a higher degree, upon completion of the Graduate Certificate.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
JCU recognizes the value of past study and real-world experience. Exemptions or credits for subjects will be considered on a case-by-case basis, upon submission of verifiable supporting documentation.
You are welcome to contact a JCU Enrolment Advisor to discuss your circumstances and develop a tailored program of study.
Personalised support for your success
The JCU Graduate Certificate in Data Science is a 100% online course, backed by our commitment to personally supporting and encouraging you for the duration of your learning journey. With regular opportunities to interact with peers and academic staff, learning online with JCU is always engaging.
What's more, JCU’s strong links with industry and research sectors mean you’ll have the opportunity to expand your professional network and explore new career opportunities as you work towards the completion of your qualification.
About the School
James Cook University is a world-leading university based in tropical Australia. For more than 50 years, we've been helping our students gain the skills they need to propel their careers and make a di ... Read More