The public and private sectors are experiencing a rapidly growing demand for professionals who exhibit high standards of knowledge, skills, integrity, and leadership in improving the performance and resiliency of tactical athletes. Tactical athletes include military personnel, first responders, and veterans.
Our Online Graduate Certificate in Tactical Performance & Resiliency empowers you to gain highly practical knowledge and skills for effectively training tactical athletes at the individual-level. Studying at your own pace through our online courses, you will expand your skills and knowledge well beyond that offered by professional certifications alone. You will graduate from this program effectively-prepared to design and deliver effective tactical training programs for military service members, firefighters, law enforcement officers, and veterans on a one-on-one basis.
- Learning from the best: As The # 1 Top Public College in the South, and a Senior Military College, you will learn from world-leading subject matter experts at The Citadel.
- Knowing the How: You will complete the certificate program with an understanding of effective methods for developing and delivering individualized fitness programs to improve the performance and resiliency of tactical athletes.
- Knowing the Why: You will complete the certificate with a basic theoretical understanding of the physical and psychological principles of performance and resiliency for tactical athletes.
- Being an asset to your current employer. If you currently have a career as a military service member or first responder, completing our graduate certificate program will allow you to be the subject matter expert within your tactical unit and be a valued asset to your employer.
- Employment in a Tactical Strength & Conditioning setting: This one-of-a-kind certificate program will allow you to have a competitive advantage in gaining entry-level employment as certified professional working one-on-one with tactical athletes in the commercial fitness setting and/or a tactical strength and conditioning setting.
- Preparation for an M.S. Degree: Having successfully completed this certificate program positions you for advanced study through our residential Master of Science Degree, with most of your credits counting towards completion of that degree.
Certificate Completion Requirements (Course Requirements)
The Graduate Certificate in Tactical Performance & Resiliency will consist of eighteen (18) semester credit hours from courses delivered online. An optional On-Site Practicum course can be completed at The Citadel, which will provide in-depth, real-world application of the content covered in the online courses. Successful completion of the On-Site Practicum allows you to earn The Citadel’s Certificate in Tactical Performance & Resiliency with Distinction, which will increase your marketability to employers.
Certificate Course Completion Requirements (credit-bearing)
- TAPR 600 Fundamentals of Applied Functional Anatomy & Physiology*
- TAPR 601 Introduction to Human Performance
- TAPR 610 Applied Exercise Physiology and Nutrition
- PSYC 516 Psychological Resiliency for Tactical Athletes
- TAPR 640 Tactical Strength and Conditioning
- TAPR 699 Capstone Internship in Tactical Performance & Resiliency
* Requirement for this course may be waived with proof of recent, satisfactory completion of two semesters of undergraduate human anatomy and physiology from an accredited college or university.
Optional Course (credit-bearing)
- TAPR 695 On-Site Practicum
Certificate Completion Requirements (non-credit bearing)
- Students in this program must demonstrate having earned the credential of Certified Personal Trainer from either the National Strength and Conditioning Association or The American College of Sports Medicine;
- Proof of current certification in Mental Health First Aid;
- Proof of current certification in First Aid and CPR.
For nine consecutive years (2012-2020) The Citadel has been named the #1 Public College in the South offering up to a master's degree (U.S. News & World Report). The Citadel was also named the #1 College for Veterans in the South.
Center for Performance, Readiness, Resiliency, and Recovery
Welcome to the Center for Performance, Readiness, Resiliency, and Recovery (CPR3)
The CPR3 brings together the fields of exercise science, health science, and military readiness to improve the safety and security of our nation by improving the fitness and health of its people.
The CPR3’s mission statement is to: “Develop and implement academic, research, and community engagement programs focused on individual-level, unit-level, and community-level fitness and health in order to immediately and forever improve performance, readiness, resiliency, and recovery of our cadet, military, first responder, veteran, and general populations.”
Why have a center focused on Performance, Readiness, Resiliency, and Recovery?
There is a critical need to bring together the fields of exercise science, health science, and military preparedness in order to solve some of the most pressing health, security, and social problems facing our state, region, and nation.
Why The Citadel?
As a non-branch specific, senior military college with over 175 years of academics and research focused on developing principled leaders for our military, private, and public sectors, The Citadel is uniquely positioned to be a collaborative hub for increasing the safety and security of our nation by improving the fitness and health of its people.