Gain knowledge, skills, and insights from industry leaders and earn a career-boosting credential—on your own schedule.
The Adelphi University online Graduate Certificate in Emergency Management efficiently and effectively equips students with knowledge and skills that apply to every discipline and industry—in just one year. As recent events demonstrate, managers in organizations of all sizes and every region need to be prepared when an emergency strikes. Whatever your occupation, earning your Emergency Management Certificate online from Adelphi enables you to apply emergency management principles to your workplace, community, and life.
The broadly applicable all-hazards curriculum is developed and taught by Adelphi University faculty members, many with front-line experience managing major planned and unplanned events, including presidential visits, global meetings, terrorist attacks, health epidemics, aviation emergencies and natural disasters. They know that preparedness not only protects people’s livelihoods and property, it also saves lives, and they are committed to preparing the nation for increasingly inevitable emergencies—one student at a time.
Earning the Certificate helps professionals achieve career goals that include moving into a senior management position or entering the emergency management profession from a related field. Our graduates not only immediately add value to their organization, they also meet a critical societal need for trained professionals who can prepare for and respond to any emergency.
Emergency management touches every aspect of society. The foundational competencies that the online Graduate Certificate provide apply to fields including:
- Public health
- Social sciences
- Homeland security
- Information technology
- Environmental sciences
- Travel and tourism
- Real Estate
Who Can Benefit
The online Emergency Management Graduate Certificate attracts individuals from a broad range of educational and professional backgrounds who want to expand their knowledge and earn a professional credential that can help them not only lead their organization in an emergency but also advance their career.
Prospective students typically are engaged and accomplished working professionals with a strong sense of responsibility who want to make a difference in their organization and in people’s lives.
They hold positions including:
- Hospital administrator
- High school principal
- Environmental scientist
- Information security officer
- Small business owner
- Industrial safety engineer
- Police officer
- Security officer
- Convenient, 100 percent online format helps you balance all your obligations.
- Coursework is career focused and can be completed in one year.
- You learn how to manage disaster preparedness, mitigation, response and recovery through an all-hazards curriculum that applies across disciplines, industries, and types of emergencies.
- You earn a valuable credential that demonstrates your competency and commitment to emergency preparedness.
About Adelphi and the Emergency Management Programs
- Adelphi University is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university offering exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training with particular strength in its Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness.
- Adelphi was one of the first higher education institutions to provide emergency management coursework. Shortly after the 9/11 terror attack in 2001, administrators decided to develop an introductory course in disaster preparedness for all incoming freshman.
- In 2005 College of Nursing and Public Health faculty members, led by a disaster epidemiologist who was among the first responders at Ground Zero following the 9/11 attack, began to develop a full-scale emergency management program. Today this program comprises master’s, bachelor’s and associate degrees, as well as a graduate certificate.