The Online Diploma in CSI & Criminology provides you with a comprehensive insight into the process of crime scene investigation and the study of criminology. It is a fascinating course that is divided into the study of Crime Scene Investigation which involves the processing of crimes and the study of criminal law, Criminology.
Areas covered include Crime Detection and investigation, forensic investigation techniques, forensic science and DNA, profiling and the criminal justice system. Two key areas are delivered by two highly qualified distinguished lecturers who specialise in the areas of ; Criminology, and Crime Scene Investigation.
The newest feature of this course is Pre recorded non edited classes. You can playback the recording anytime that is convenient to you as all live classes are recorded for revision and playback purposes.
CSI Criminology Course Aims
The Criminology part of the course examines the Criminal Justice system, criminal courts, offences against the person, criminal law and various types of crimes.
The Forensic Investigation part of the course examines the traces left behind from crime scenes and the clues and evidence which can be examined. This is a fascinating area and looks at fingerprints, blood samples, the role of DNA, photographic evidence, firearms and residue.
Crime Scene Investigation - Learning Outcomes
Learners will be able to:
- Understand Forensic Science and identify physical evidence of a crime such as Blood, fibres, fingerprints
- Learn the steps involved in Crime Scene examination and recovery of trace evidence
- Identify impressions as Evidence: Toolmarks, Footwear, Firearms and Fingerprints.
- Identification of Body fluids, Confirmatory tests, Bloodstain Pattern Analysis (BPA)
- Explore DNA sampling and DNA profiling
- Outline examination of Questioned Documents
- Forensic Pathology and Human Identification; Death of victims
- CSI Kits and their application
Criminology - Learning Outcomes
- Learn the definitions of a crime, criminology and what does it involve, role of criminologist.
- Understand penology and different theories of criminology
- Outline the structure of the Criminal Justice System
- Understand the link between drug use and crime
- Examine sentencing and imprisonment
- Study of Gender and Crime; Feminist criminologist theory; Strain, Control and Biological theory
- Methods of recording crime, CSO and Media Statistics
- The Criminal Justice Act and The Criminal Assets Bureau Act
- Modern day phenomenon of white collar crime
Many Former graduates from there on to work in national and international police forces from Northern Ireland to Metropoliton Police in the UK to Police in America and Australia. Some have been appointed to roles in the Welfare Service, Forensic Science Laboratories, Psychologists/Counsellors, Youth Offender workers and as civilian crime scene investigators in UK and USA. Others have decided to pursue further study and Degrees in Law, Social work, Biological Sciences, Sociology.
- Award: CSI & Criminology Diploma
- Award Body: CMI
The fee for the CSI, Criminology & Forensic Psychology Diploma course is £855. The fee includes all tuition, registration, assessment and online notes. Applicants are required to pay a minimum deposit of £300 to secure a place on the programme. The balance of fees are due on or before programme commencement.
- Mode: Online Learning
- Start: February 2016
- Duration: 3 months
Am I eligible for this course?
This course is open to people from any educational background and with various levels of work experience. There is no pre course requirements. If you are anxious about your eligibility, please contact CMI and a representative will be more than happy to help you chose the right course for you.
Why choose CMI?
- The Online Diploma in Criminology & Forensic Psychology course is awarded by CMI. The course leads to a LEVEL 5 FETAC Component Award in Criminology. A FETAC Award is recognised under the NFQ, National Framework of Qualifications.
- CMI are a registered Provider and are quality approved by FETAC – Further Education Training and Awards Council. Please be aware courses offered by other colleges may not be recognised under the NFQ - National Framework of Qualifications.
- Since 2004, CMI has built an excellent reputation with employers as one of Irelands leading educators in Law, Criminal Law and Forensic Psychology.
- CMI's five strong lecturing team include a Specialist Forensic Doctor working in the GARDA HQ laboratory, a Garda Sergeant and head of a Crime Scene Unit, a Criminal Barrister and a specialist in Criminology who is chair of a young juvenile detention board. The panel brings over 50 years of combined crime scene and forensic investigation experience aswell as experience working with young juvenlies and working in the criminal courts.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 25, 2016