The Nebrija University has more than 20 years of experience in training professionals in languages and teaching.
Within the offer of postgraduate studies, the Nebrija University provides a professional type of training that satisfies a great social demand: bilingual education. This is the Master's Degree in Bilingual Teaching, which is based on the long experience of Nebrija both in the training of teachers and the teaching of L2 as well as in applied linguistics and bilingualism, traditionally one of the most important research lines of the College.
The training objectives of this Master respond to the urgent need to train qualified professionals of non-university compulsory education, professionals who need to strengthen their competence of the language and adapt their professional activity to new social demands and who want to integrate into the training centers. bilingual education created by the Administration as well as in the private centers that request them.
The Master's Degree in Bilingual Teaching, with 60 ECTS credits, constitutes an official academic degree in the European Higher Education Area and has a professional and academic character due to the academic qualification of the teaching staff and, above all, for the objectives it sets, the competences that program for their graduates and the contents of the curriculum. The 60 credits of the Master's Degree in Bilingual Teaching are taught in the English language and are distributed as follows:
- Mixed Modality: face-to-face teaching will be combined with virtual teaching through the Virtual Campus of the Nebrija University in all subjects of the curriculum (blended learning).
- Structure: modules, subjects and subjects.
- Periodicity: annual, with semiannual division.
The teaching-learning process of the University Master's Degree in Bilingual Teaching is carried out through a varied set of training activities, with which it is intended to facilitate the acquisition of the various general and specific competences in the framework of an active teaching methodology, in which the student is the protagonist of their learning and the teacher is the expert in the field, well versed in the best means and resources to transmit knowledge and to help the student to organize the process and optimize their learning strategies. These training activities are specified in:
- AF 1. Teaching sessions
- AF1.1 Classroom sessions
- AF1.2 Online teaching sessions through videoconference in the Nebrija Virtual Campus
- AF2. Learning activities, individual and in groups, outside of the teaching session
- AF4. Complementary training actions
- AF5. Activities of professional practices
- AF6. Preparation, presentation and defense of the Master's Thesis
- AF7. Evaluation activities
This didactic methodology combines face-to-face and virtual teaching, supported by the use of ICT, which serves as a support for collaborative work (forums, chat, meeting by videoconference), to the teacher's orientations (agenda, announcements, document folders, links) and the delivery of work through the virtual campus.
The competences that the masterando reaches are the following:
- Development of C1 level proficiency of the CEFR.
- Design of integrated curricula within their area of knowledge along with linguistic contents to elaborate bilingual teaching programs.
- Creation and adaptation of didactic materials for bilingual teaching, graduating the linguistic level and with sensitivity to the different learning rhythms, adapting the authentic material and converting it into didactic material.
- Mastery of the different styles (expository, descriptive, narrative) and textual typologies necessary for bilingual teaching.
- Development and application of didactic methodologies adapted to the diversity of students in a bilingual environment.
- Evaluation of both linguistic and non-linguistic contents in bilingual education.
- Incorporation of new strategies, teaching materials and information technologies to the activities in the bilingual classroom.
Master in online mode with face-to-face sessions.
Characteristics of the Program
- It is an official Postgraduate program, RD 1393/2007 of October 29 (BOCM of October 30, 2007), recognized in the European Higher Education Area (Bologna Accords), valid throughout the European Union.
- The Master's Degree in Bilingual Teaching is an official postgraduate degree, recognized by the ANECA through a favorable report on 07/29/2011.
- Performing a specific admission test for the program that covers the following areas:
- Degree of knowledge of the English language.
- Ability to reflect on the mechanisms that regulate the use of the English language.
- Ability to express oneself about the field of study.
- Sensitivity towards the individual factors that affect the learning of foreign languages and the specific needs of each group of apprentices.
The general objective of the Master is the comprehensive training of teachers of bilingual centers that use English as a vehicular language for the teaching of contents with a view to improving their communication skills in teaching contexts.
This training, then, implies, in the first place, that teachers acquire the necessary linguistic, pragmatic and cultural competence (level C1 of CEFR) for their profession, with special emphasis on active oral and written skills; and second, that teachers understand the theoretical, conceptual and methodological contents of bilingual education, as well as its practical application in the classroom.
Therefore, the Master's Degree in Bilingual Teaching has the following specific objectives:
- Respond to the challenges that are presented to language professionals in Primary and Secondary Education with a new alternative focused on bilingualism.
- Train masterandos for the application in the classroom of teaching-learning strategies analyzed in the curriculum.
- Train professors and designers of teaching units who wish to deepen and investigate the acquisition and teaching of foreign languages, particularly the English language.
- To make Masterandos aware of the need to contemplate topics related to fundamental rights, non-discrimination, universal accessibility and equal opportunities as well as the values of a culture of peace and values in the curricula and in their teaching practice democratic (principles included in article 3.5 of RD 1393/2007 of October 29).
The Master's Degree in Bilingual Teaching for Primary and Secondary teachers is structured in four modules, three of them according to the knowledge areas of the academic program, and one, corresponding to the Practicum. Each subject of the Master has a value of 4 ECTS credits, except the Electives and the Practices and the Master's Thesis that have a value of 6 credits each.
Competences of the Master in Bilingual Teaching
- Know how to apply the knowledge acquired and the ability to solve problems in new or unfamiliar environments within broader (or multidisciplinary) contexts related to their area of study.
- Being able to integrate knowledge and face the complexity of making judgments from information that, incomplete or limited, includes reflections on social and ethical responsibilities linked to the application of their knowledge and judgments.
- Know how to communicate conclusions as well as the knowledge and the ultimate reasons that sustain them, to specialized and non-specialized publics in a clear and unambiguous way.
- Learning ability that allows to continue studying in a self-directed or autonomous way.
General competences of the Master in Bilingual Teaching
- Know and know how to apply the theories, linguistic models and methodologies of LE teaching in a class.
- Know the specific problems of LE teaching, both linguistic and cultural in a bilingual teaching environment.
- Apply the knowledge acquired in terms of making appropriate decisions in relation to the different factors involved in the learning and teaching processes of LE.
- Ability to perform a critical analysis, evaluation and synthesis of new and complex ideas that allow autonomy in training and continuous updating of knowledge in the field of teaching LE.
- Be able to transmit social and cultural values according to the multilingual and multicultural news.
- Know how to communicate with colleagues in the academic community and with society in general about their areas of knowledge.
- Acquire basic theoretical knowledge aimed at substantiating an informed teaching practice.
- Know the legislation and regulations regarding the organization and organization of bilingual centers.
- Reflect on the psychological processes and the factors that intervene in the learning of a LE.
The Master in Bilingual Education tries to respond to the growing demand of competent professionals to provide a bilingual education within the professional sector that is given by the current context of language learning in Europe. In these moments it is considered essential to strengthen the communicative competence in English language of the students, competence that facilitates the follow-up of dynamics of academic, cultural and economic type and that offers them job opportunities, mobility and personal growth. Likewise, the implementation of bilingual programs in all the Spanish autonomous communities, in which languages are the vehicular languages of instruction and communication, makes it necessary to have teachers who combine appropriate linguistic and methodological preparation.
There are numerous centers interested in hiring staff with the necessary skills for primary and secondary education, and with the communication and teaching skills that are essential for teaching in the bilingual modality.
Program taught in: