As technology and automation continue to transform the nature of work, interpersonal skills are becoming increasingly relevant as a way to add a competitive edge in business. The ability to successfully negotiate in a way that delivers value for all parties sets a collaborative tone for future conflict resolution and is an impactful way to stand out as a leader in your organization.
Collaborative negotiation places people at the heart of any agreement, deal, or mediation. This helps ensure that all parties involved feel that they have a sense of control and that the outcome is a win-win situation. It also fosters transparency and trust, separates the people from the problem, and encourages shared responsibility for the end result.
Program convener and Yale SOM lecturer Dr. Daylian Cain will help you develop your own unique negotiating style that can be applied in both professional and personal situations. Gain a theoretical understanding of what constitutes an effective interaction by exploring the common mistakes people make and discussing real-world case studies. The focal point of this program is developing practical negotiation skills through live sessions with fellow participants that will prepare you to be an effective leader in a world characterized by increasing complexity.
Who should attend
- Business leaders and executives who want to have greater influence within their organization.
- Aspiring business leaders looking to show their value and make an impact within their current role.
- Business professionals and specialists such as lawyers, doctors, and consultants who need to negotiate contracts or maintain effective client relationships.
- Individuals looking to improve their negotiation and strategic communication skills, and to understand how issues like disclosure and conflict of interest are resolved.
- Anyone who negotiates agreements and contracts such as job offers, promotions, asset purchases, resource allocations, organization decisions, and mergers and acquisitions.
You'll walk away with
- The ability to create and maximize value for all parties by applying a collaborative negotiation style.
- Practical negotiation skills developed through the exploration of different strategies and common pitfalls, discussing real-world case studies, and taking part in live sessions with fellow participants.
- An understanding of your negotiation strengths established by self-analysis, as well as a personalized preparation document to use in future scenarios.
- Expert insights into the professional value of collaborative negotiations from esteemed Yale SOM faculty and thought leaders.*
*Upon successful completion of your program, you’ll also join the exclusive Yale School of Management Executive Education Alumni group on LinkedIn
Over the duration of this online program, you’ll work your way through the following modules:
The value of engaging in negotiation
Learn how to add value to a deal using negotiation.
Question-asking practices for effective negotiation
Determine what your negotiation partner wants, why, and in what order.
Understanding and expanding the pie
Learn about the tools and concepts that allow you to maximize value collaboratively.
Securing a better deal for both parties
Engage in your second negotiation with a partner in order to attempt to reach a post-settlement settlement.
Creating value by turning an opponent into a partner
Determine how value can be created and claimed through collaborative negotiation techniques.
Developing your personalized negotiation strategy
Develop your own preparation document to use in future negotiations.
Visit the course page to find out more about upcoming session dates, program price, and more:
An online education that sets you apart
This Yale School of Management Executive Education online program is delivered in collaboration with online education provider GetSmarter. Join a growing community of global professionals who've already benefited from the opportunity to:
- Join the exclusive Yale School of Management Executive Education group on LinkedIn upon successful completion of the program.
- Experience a flexible but structured approach to online education as you learn around your schedule.
- Earn an official certificate of participation from the Yale School of Management Executive Education.
About the School
The Yale School of Management Executive Education is dedicated to educating leaders for business and society. Through its integrated curriculum, close ties to Yale University, and active connection to ... Read More