- Discipline: Linguistics, Humanities, Sign Language Interpreting
- Location: All locations
- Duration: Ongoing
- Earliest start date: 1 September 2021
- End date: 31 July 2021
- Language: English
- Study type: Online course
- Pace: Part-time, self-paced online course. The course can be completed for example in 10 weeks with 8-10 hours of work weekly.
- Tuition Fee: EUR 45
- Credits: 3 ECTS
- Registration deadline: 24.5.2021 at 23:59:00 (EET)
Develop interaction skills with a special focus on linguistic accessibility
The aim of the course is to give an introduction on how to facilitate communication and promote linguistic accessibility when working with people whose access to interaction is challenged due to, for example, problems in hearing or whose linguistic resources are marginalized in the society (e.g. sign language users).
The course is directed towards people whose profession entails encountering people from varied backgrounds, and who, therefore, need wide-ranging interaction skills.
The course complies with the criteria imposed for universities of applied sciences (UAS) by the national qualifications system in Finland and with the European and national frameworks for qualification and other competencies (level 6).
What topics will you cover?
During the course, the student:
- Is acquainted with a multimodal view of interaction and examines the utilization of the concept in different working environments.
- Becomes familiar with Multimodal interaction competence which is based on an understanding of the multichannel and multimodal nature of interaction: meanings are conveyed by both verbal and non-verbal means (e.g. gestures, eye contact, and images).
- Practices observing interaction situations and harness a range of interaction met-hods people use in order to understand and be understood.
When would you like to start?
You can study the course at your own pace between 1.9.2020 – 31.7.2021. Assignments should be completed by the 31st of July. The latest date for the registration is on 24.5.2021.
What will you achieve?
Students will be able to
- Explain the concept of multimodality
- Identify different modes and channels of communication
- Demonstrate an understanding of how the multimodal view on interaction can be used to influence the interaction in the workplace
- Identify how to develop one’s own skills in terms of multimodal interaction skills
- ECTS credits of the University of Applied Science
Who is the course for?
- The course is directed towards people whose profession entails encountering people from varied backgrounds, and who, therefore, need wide-ranging interaction skills.
- It is suited for the students and professionals in the fields of education, social work, health services, rescue workers, and everyone who is encountering people with communication difficulties in their daily work.
- Open UAS courses are open for everyone and there are no entry requirements for the course.
What software or tools do you need?
You need a computer with an internet connection. The students will get a login to Humak University of Applied Science’s eLearning portal Hoodle in which they can study in their own space. The service is accessible also with a pad or a mobile phone.
Students register for the course in an online registration system by paying the tuition fee and filling the personal information schema.
There is a limited amount of seats available for the course and they are filled on a first-come-first-serve basis. The system accepts all major credit cards. The student gets the login information for the eLearning service shortly after the registration.
Who developed the course?
Humak University of Applied Sciences.
Humak is the biggest training and RDI-organization developing multimodal communication in the context of linguistic accessibility in Finland.
Humak University of Applied Sciences
Humak University of Applied Sciences is a nationwide university with 1,600 students and over 140 staff members. In addition, we offer online courses in our specific fields for thousands of students from other Universities and the public.
We offer degree programs and courses in Community and HR development, Cultural Management, and Sign Language & Linguistic Accessibility. Humak is the biggest RDI-institute and educator in its specific fields in Finland. Humak is a university that wants to create knowledge for building a more equal and sustainable society for the generations to come.
Our close cooperation with the private and public sectors enables us to offer degrees and courses which have real relevance to the fast-changing, modern work life.
Humak’s headquarter is situated in Helsinki, Finland. Other locations are in Turku, Jyväskylä and Kuopio.
About the School
Humak University of Applied Sciences is engaged in the development of higher education and modernization of the world of work. We contribute to working new types of higher education, as well as resear ... Read More