Gain a solid foundation in UX Research and Design to help create products and advance your career.
Integrate UX Research and UX Design to create great products through understanding user needs, rapidly generating prototypes, and evaluating design concepts. Learners will gain hands-on experience with taking a product from initial concept, through user research, ideation and refinement, formal analysis, prototyping, and user testing, applying perspectives and methods to ensure a great user experience at every step. This UX MicroMasters Program concludes with a capstone project, in which learners will incorporate UX Research and Design to design a complete product, taking it from an initial concept to an interactive prototype. The advisory board for this MicroMasters Program consists of University of Michigan School of Information alumni who are industry leaders and user experience experts. Board members provide ongoing guidance on the applicability of the program to career and educational pathways. More information on the MicroMasters Program and the advisory board members can be found at the University of Michigan website.
- Average Length: 3-8 weeks per course
- Effort: 3-5 hours per week, per course
- Number Of Courses: 9 Courses in Program
- Subject: Computer Science, Social Sciences, Design
- Institution: The University of Michigan
- Institution Offering Credit: The University of Michigan
- Language: English
- Video Transcripts: English
- Price (USD): Free to try or pursue the MicroMasters credential for $1041
- Computer and information technology occupations are projected to grow 12% from 2014 to 2024, faster than average for all professions. 488,500 new jobs are predicted over that period. (Source: Occupational Outlook Handbook)
- Median salary $81,430 in May 2015. (Source: Occupational Outlook Handbook)
- Career prospects for people with similar training include UX designer, web developer, software developer, information technology manager, data scientist, consultant, and research analyst. (source: UMSI 2015 Employment Report)
What You'll Learn:
- Understand the principles and processes of designing for a great user experience.
- Learn how to assess user needs and map them to system requirements.
- Learn how to evaluate systems to determine how well they meet user needs.
- Learn techniques for rapidly exploring design alternatives and selecting the most promising concepts.
- Learn techniques for developing and communicating design ideas.
MicroMasters Program Details
How To Earn The MicroMasters Credential Complete and successfully earn a Verified Certificate in all 8 UX courses plus the Capstone Project course. The price of the capstone is $249. Take Your Credential To The Next Level Learners who have successfully earned the MicroMasters Credential may submit their certification for advanced credit for completion of the Masters of Science in Information (MSI) if they apply, and are admitted to the residential program. Earning this advanced credit allows learners to reduce costs and time to degree.
- Introduction to User Experience
Learn how UX research and design techniques can help you better understand user needs and create a great user experience.
- Understanding User Needs
Learn how to conduct effective user research to better understand what users love, hate, want and need.
- Principles of Designing for Humans
Learn about human behavior and capabilities and how they impact user experience design.
- Evaluating Designs with Users
Learn how to design, run, and analyze usability tests to help improve the user experience.
- UX Design: From Concept to Wireframe
Take a UX design project from an initial sketch and develop it into a wireframe.
- UX Design: From Wireframe to Prototype
Learn about the UX design process by taking a UX design project from wireframes to a design specification document.
- UX Research Surveys
Learn how to use UX surveys to gain insights into user needs and attitudes toward system designs.
- UX Research at Scale: Analytics and Online Experiments
Learn how to conduct and analyze UX research at scale using online tools such as A/B testing and web analytics.
- UX (User Experience) Capstone
Use the skills and knowledge gained through UX Research and Design MicroMasters courses to design a complete UX project.
What is a MicroMasters Program? Developed to advance a career and born from Master's programs of leading universities, MicroMasters programs are a series of higher-level courses recognized by companies for real job relevancy and may accelerate a Master's degree.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated June 27, 2018