Engage and inspire students through technology.
Learn how to create enhanced learning opportunities using the latest tools and techniques to connect with today’s digital-first students.
Our unique approach to instructional design focuses on understanding learning theory, blending traditional instructional design models with rapid prototyping and data analytics to create online courses. You will gain hands-on experience developing and publishing online courses using the edX platform.
This Instructional Design and Technology MicroMasters program will provide the knowledge and skills needed to capitalize on one of the fastest growing areas of education – online teaching and learning. This program will prepare you to create engaging and active learning, using digital pedagogy, emerging technologies and data analytics.
Through this program you will learn how to design captivating learning experiences for students who want mobile learning opportunities that are collaborative and accessible, while advancing your knowledge of educational theory.
- Average Length: 8 weeks per course
- Effort: 4-6 hours per week, per course
- Number Of Courses: 4 Courses in Program
- Subject: Education & Teacher Training
- Institutions: University System of Maryland, UMUC
- Institution Offering Credit: UMUC
- Language: English
- Video Transcripts: English
- Price (USD): Free to try or pursue the MicroMasters credential for $796
- "90 percent of academic leaders believe that it is ‘Likely’ or ‘Very Likely’ that a majority of all higher education students will be taking at least one online course in 5 years’ time” (source: According to Grade Change: Tracking Online Education)
- Career prospects for people with similar training include instructional software designer, instructional technologist, learning systems designer, educational technologist (source: Monster.com)
- Instructional design and technology jobs are projected to grow 7% from 2014 to 2024 (source: BLS National Occupation Outlook)
What You'll Learn
- Understand contemporary learning theories to develop online learning experiences
- Apply instructional design models to the development of online learning experiences
- Select, evaluate or design digital media to support learning
- Identify, evaluate, and integrate emerging technologies to support online learning
- Design an implementation process for online learning experiences
- Apply data mining techniques to the design and evaluation of learning experiences
How To Earn The MicroMasters Credential
Complete and successfully earn a Verified Certificate in all 4 courses.
Take Your Credential To The Next Level
Learners interested in continuing their education in Learning Design and earning a Master of Science degree can continue their online work at University of Maryland University College.
Learners who successfully earn the MicroMasters Credential and possess a bachelor’s degree are eligible to apply to the online Learning Design and Technology program at UMUC with no need to take the GMAT or GRE test. If accepted into the Learning Design and Technology program, learners who have earned a MicroMasters Credential would be credited for 12 credits, LDT 600 and LDT 610, in the degree program.
- Instructional Design and Technology: Learning Theories
- Instructional Design Models
- Instructional Design: Digital Media, New Tools and Technology
- Instructional Design Data Mining
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 15, 2017