Learn more about the business and economic aspects of a circular economy, and gain the skills to make the switch to biobased resources and build a sustainable business.
The world is moving from a linear economy of make-use-dispose to a more sustainable circular one. In this new world, it’s critical to determine if alternative (biobased) resources have the potential to become truly sustainable and economically-viable sources for materials and energy, as well as food production. A company that wants to succeed in this industry must be prepared for the challenges and opportunities ahead. This MicroMasters program is intended for those currently working in biobased industries, industries that are transitioning to be more biobased, or non-profit and governmental institutions.
In addition to a brief introduction of the technological aspects related to biobased materials and their conversion, the program will focus on the business and economic aspects of the biobased economy. The program emphasizes a systems approach and the various associated tools and methods (e.g. life cycle assessment and agent-based modeling).
Completion of this MicroMasters program in Business and Economics for a Circular Economy will provide you with knowledge and tools to analyze the business and economics sides of the switch from fossil to renewable, biobased resources. Upon earning the program certificate, learners will be able to contribute substantially to managerial decision-making, as well as policy development.
- This program is intended for those currently working in biobased industries, industries that are transitioning to the biobased economy, or non-profit and governmental institutions
- Careers in industries such as (bio)chemical industry, agrifood water companies, energy producers, logistics, and related governmental and non-governmental organizations
- Exciting career opportunities for traditionally and newly trained: (Bio)chemical engineers, process engineers, supply chain managers, product managers, entrepreneurs, consultants and business developers in a biobased business
- Research scientist, Microbiologist, Bioprocess specialist
- The US biobased products Industry Contributes $369 Billion and 4 Million Jobs to American economy
- EU employment in the Biobased sector accounts for 13.8 million jobs
What You'll Learn
- Understand the basics of biobased materials and their conversion to useful products and services
- Understand and evaluate technological, business, societal, and economic consequences in the production of biobased products
- Judge new innovations on their sustainability and business merits
- Understand the role biofuel policies play in a biobased economy and how they impact markets
- Apply the circular economy principles to a process or product chain
What is a MicroMasters Program?
Developed to advance a career and born from Master's programs of leading universities, MicroMasters programs are a series of higher-level courses recognized by companies for real job relevancy and may accelerate a Master's degree.
MicroMasters Program Details
Earn a verified certificate in all courses of the MicroMasters program (3 courses and 1 Capstone)
Master’s Degree Context
18 ECTS toward the Master of Science Biobased Sciences (120 ECTS, 2-year full-time on-campus program)
If you successfully earn the MicroMasters program certificate and decide to apply to the Master of Science programme Biobased Sciences at Wageningen University & Research (120 ECTS, 2-year full time on campus Program), you will need to go through the regular admission procedures for MSc students and meet the entry requirements.
If you are admitted and would like to be exempted from courses in the MSc programme, you can send a formal waiver request. Campus courses that can be waived (up to 18 credits) are courses that are equivalent to the online courses in the MicroMasters Program.
- Average Length: 6-8 weeks per course
- Effort: 15-20 hours per week, per course
- Number Of Courses: 4 Courses in Program
- Subject: Energy & Earth Sciences, Economics & Finance, Business & Management, Chemistry, Science
- Institution: Wageningen University & Research
- Institution Offering Credit: Wageningen University & Research
- Language: English
- Video Transcripts: English
- Price (USD): Originally $746 USD, now $671.40 USD for the entire program. You save $74.60 USD.
Program taught in: