Learn how to analyze biological big data to unlock the next big biotech discovery.
Modern biology generates massive quantities of big data. Hidden in this data might be the next blockbuster cancer therapy, the definitive proof that a certain gene is responsible for a disease, or the information needed to replicate a crucial biological process — and you could be on the team that discovers it.
Bioinformatics blends biology, computer science, and mathematics and in this Bioinformatics MicroMasters program, you’ll gain the cutting edge knowledge and experience that will give you a significant career advantage in this fascinating field.
In this program, you will learn how to analyze DNA sequences to find mutations and anomalies, understand the important role protein structure plays in protein function and use statistical analysis tools, including R programming, to mine biological big data.
This program is ideal for those who want to learn more about the bioinformatics field and its effects on society at large or who would like to incorporate bioinformatics principles and tools into their laboratories.
- Bioinformatics Scientist is expected to grow rapidly in the next several years and has roughly 10,000 new job openings from 2014-2024 (O*Net Online).
- Medical Scientist is expected to grow at 8% from 2014-2024 resulting in 9,000 new jobs (BLS).
- Top industries are the government, private, scientific, and technical services sectors for careers in positions such as bioinformatician, bioinformatics analyst, bioinformatics software engineer, and bioinformatics scientist (O*net online).
What You'll Learn
- How to align DNA/RNA and protein sequences and the theory behind the algorithms that make them possible.
- The effects of mutations on cellular processes and the structure of proteins.
- How to generate a model structure of proteins.
- Basic R programming to analyze biological data.
- How to apply packages in the R environment to typical problems in bioinformatics.
MicroMasters Program Details
How To Earn The MicroMasters Credential
Complete all three courses with a grade of 80% or better and earn a Verified Certificate in each course to earn the MicroMasters credential.
Take Your Credential To The Next Level
Through this program, you can combine your MicroMasters Credential with additional online learning through UMUC to earn a Master of Biotechnology with a specialization in Bioinformatics degree. Learners who successfully earn the MicroMasters Credential are eligible to apply to the Master of Biotechnology with a specialization in Bioinformatics degree at UMUC. If accepted to the UMUC Masters program, learners who have earned a MicroMasters Credential will be credited with 12 academic units (36 units are required for graduation with the Biotechnology with a specialization in Bioinformatics degree).
- Average Length: 8 weeks per course
- Effort: 8-10 hours per week, per course
- Number Of Courses: 3 Courses in Program
- Subject: Computer Science, Biology & Life Sciences
- Institutions: University System of Maryland, UMUC
- Institution Offering Credit: UMUC
- Language: English
- Video Transcripts: English
- Price (USD): Originally $747 USD, now $672.30 USD for the entire program. You save $74.70 USD.
About the School
Founded by Harvard University and MIT in 2012, edX is an online learning destination and MOOC provider, offering high-quality courses from the world’s best universities and institutions to learners ev ... Read More