Learn key concepts and skills in financial accounting, managerial accounting, and tax.
Accountants with deep financial expertise, business acumen, real-world experience, decision-making ability, and effective communication skills are vital to businesses of all sizes and have tremendous career opportunities. This MicroMasters® program in Accounting is designed for smart, hardworking students with integrity and passion who want to substantially enhance their understanding of accounting. The program curriculum includes courses in the three most fundamental areas of accounting: financial accounting, managerial accounting, and income taxes. Learn from world-renowned, award-winning accounting faculty at the top-ranked Kelley School of Business at Indiana University. The MicroMasters program will introduce you to the following key areas in the accounting profession:
- Financial Reporting I – How do firms measure and report the financial position and financial performance in a set of financial statements?
- Managerial Accounting and Corporate Control – How do firms make critical strategic decisions using accounting information?
- Taxes and Decision Making – How do income taxes impact firms, their strategies, capital structure, and after-tax profits?
The three graduate-level courses in the MicroMasters program represent 30% of the coursework in the online Master of Science in Accounting from the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University offered on the edX platform.
The online Master of Science in Accounting program is designed for individuals who want to transition to an accounting career and for individuals who want to deepen their understanding of accounting’s role in investment banking, and corporate management. The Kelley School of Business is currently ranked #7 for graduate accounting programs by Public Accounting Report.
Completing this MicroMasters program in accounting can strengthen your application to the online Master of Science in Accounting program, as well as advance your career.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates steady job growth in the accounting profession in the next 10 years.
- Corporate, nonprofit, government, and professional services organizations will continue to need high-capability and hardworking accounting professionals.
- Professionals in the following functions – among others – may benefit in particular from this program: accounts receivable, accounting records management, treasury management, accounting, and corporate controller.
- Learners may be able to enhance their capabilities in a variety of roles, including certified public accountant (CPA), accounting manager, auditor, or management accountant.
What You'll Learn
- What information do firms measure and report in a wide array of transactions, events, and arrangements in balance sheets, income statements, and statements of cash flows?
- What are key elements of financial reporting, such as revenues, expenses, gains and losses, net income, assets, liabilities, and owners’ equity?
- How do firms develop and use key internal information such as product costs, cost allocations, customer profitability, budgets, and planning to execute and control firm strategy?
- How do income taxes impact firms? How do firms measure and report taxable income and taxes payable? And how do firms strategically plan for and manage the impact of taxes on profitability?
- Accounting standards, including U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (U.S. GAAP) and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
MicroMasters Program Details
What is a MicroMasters Program?
MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate-level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
How to Earn a MicroMasters Program Certificate
To earn the program certificate, learners must complete and successfully earn a verified certificate in all three courses in this program.
From Program Certificate to a Master’s Degree
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to several Master’s programs, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
Learners can combine a MicroMasters program certificate with online coursework from IU to earn a Master of Science in Accounting degree from the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University.
Students who successfully earn the MicroMasters program certificate are eligible to apply to the MS in Accounting with no need to take the GMAT or GRE test. Students will earn nine credits to apply to the 30-credit Master’s degree.
- Average Length: 12 weeks per course
- Effort: 8-12 hours per week, per course
- Number Of Courses: 3 Courses in Program
- Subject: Business & Management
- Institution: Indiana University
- Institution Offering Credit: Indiana University
- Language: English
- Video Transcripts: English
- Price (USD): $1500 USD. Now $1350 USD for the entire program. You save $150 USD.
About the School
Founded by Harvard University and MIT in 2012, edX is an online learning destination and MOOC provider, offering high-quality courses from the world’s best universities and institutions to learners ev ... Read More