Official Qualification granted by the Menéndez Pelayo International University (UIMP), in collaboration with the Instituto Universitario de Investigación Ortega y Gasset .
Directors: Dr. Manuel Villoria Mendieta and Dr. Isabel Bazaga Fernández
Academic Council: Dr. Antonio López Vega, Dr. Jesús Ruiz-Huerta, Dr. Manuel Tamayo, Mr. Fernando Vallespín Oña, Dr. Manuel Villoria and Dr. Isabel Bazaga Fernández
Title: Master's Degree in Public Senior Management
Credits: 60 ECTS
Price: 5,000 euros on-line (fees, 50 euros approximately)
Duration: October - June
Information and contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The objective of the Master's Degree in Public Senior Management is to provide a training for action (policy applied) to public managers. The academic contents enhance values, knowledge and skills that allow:
- Better management of the public sector, in areas such as Human Resources, budgeting and economic-financial management.
- The decision making and the resolution of problems in processes of formulation, implementation and evaluation of public policies and programs.
- Strategic planning, organizational design and public marketing.
This Master has been verified by the National Agency for the Evaluation of Quality and Accreditation (ANECA), attached to the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport. The credits completed in the Master are recognized, automatically, for access to doctoral studies at any University of the European Higher Education Area.
It allows preferential access to the Doctorate in Economy and Government.
Any country that wants to progress needs political leadership, but it is also true that it needs efficiency and impartiality in the Administration, which requires a competent and honest civil servant. And even more, it is essential that these two spheres combine so that political ideals can become realities that bring welfare to citizens, without loss of freedom. This is only possible if an intermediate instrument is introduced that allows both types of actors -politicians and employees, public officials- to work in the same direction. That instrument is the professionalized managerial function. In it must be present professional public managers, who encourage the creation of a space where communication between the political and administrative universe is possible; who transmit political decisions in language understandable to officials; and those who expose politicians to the opinions of the bureaucracy, so that they can understand them and share them if necessary.
Without them, the clash of values and priorities is inevitable. It is urgent to strengthen the synergies between the political and administrative roles with the main objective of offering an effective service to the Society.
The Master's Degree in Public Senior Management is designed to provide a training for action ( policy applied ), to public managers. The contents of the academic plan enhance values, knowledge and skills of the participants to act effectively in:
- The management of the public sector, particularly in the areas of public policies, human resources, budgeting and economic-financial management.
- The decision making and the resolution of problems in the formulation, implementation and evaluation processes of public policies and programs.
- Strategic planning, organizational design and public marketing.
The Master's consists of 60 ECTS credits that will be awarded during a school year from October to June. The academic training of the Master consists of:
Subject 1. Strategic Management for Public Organizations
Compulsory 1st semester 6 credits
- Strategic direction and generation of public value
- Analysis and management of environmental interdependencies: environmental transformations and their impact on public organizations
- Application of new approaches to public action: the strategic approach as a management technique in the public sector
- Strategic management techniques
- Analysis and design of strategic plans
- Utility, design and implementation of the balanced scorecard
Subject 2. Organization and Quality Management I
Compulsory 1st semester.3 credits.
- The organization of institutions
- Analysis and design of organizational structures
- Organization by functions and processes
- Quality of public institutions
- Methods for quality management
Subject 3. Public Marketing
Compulsory 1st semester.6 credits.
- Introduction to public marketing
- Generation of intelligence information
- Market segmentation
- Program management
- Service distribution strategies
- Determination of prices
- Effective government communication
Subject 4. Juridico-social Problems of Administrative Action
Compulsory 1st semester.6 credits.
- Organization and dysfunctions of the General State Administration. Guidelines for its reform within the scope of its competence and relations with the European Union.
- The autonomic system, financing of the same and the incidence within the framework of its current competence regime, with incidence on the forms of provision of large public services in the network.
- Analysis of the local organization and the expectations of its evolution, after having assumed a beam of competences that is increasingly difficult to sustain, but being the only Administration that manages these matters.
- Current problem of duplication of competences
- Evolution of the forms of administrative action with specific incidence in the conformation and implementation of policies.
Subject 5. ANALYSIS AND INTERGOVERNMENTAL MANAGEMENT OF PUBLIC POLICIES
Compulsory 1st semester 6 credits
- Policy analysis as an instrument for management
- Public problems: instruments and techniques for the identification of public issues.
- Management of the public agenda as managerial skill
- Prospective analysis and anticipation: the management of public policies.
- Design and formulation of public policies: techniques for the adoption of effective decisions.
- Ability to solve public problems
- Design and management of the implementation of public policies: implementation as a determining phase for the resolution of public problems.
- Evaluation of public policies: techniques and instruments. Knowledge management for the generation of public value.
- Management of public policies and programs in complex intergovernmental contexts.
Subject 6. Organization and Management of Quality II
Compulsory 2nd semester.3 credits.
- Management systems for quality. The certification
- The ISO 9001: 2000 standard
- The process of implementing a quality management system
- The total quality The model of excellence
Subject 7. Economic Resources: Budgeting and Budgetary Management
Compulsory 2nd semester. 6 credits
- Role of the public sector in a market economy
- Collective choice and behavior of the public sector
- Budget preparation techniques
- Cost-benefit analysis as an instrument for collective decision
- Main spending and income policies in the Welfare State
- Budgeting in Spain
- Execution of public expenditure
- Control of public expenditure
- Financial control
- Reforms of the financial management of expenditure and review of the role of the public sector in modern market economies
Subject 8. Strategic Management of Human Resources and Public Ethics
Compulsory 2nd semester.6 credits.
- The transformations of society and the new trends in strategic management of human resources
- The human resources system and its subcomponents in the theory and practice of the Administrations
- Human resources planning: quantitative and qualitative needs definition techniques
- Management by competences and its application to the public sector
- Functional analysis
- Motivation of the public employee and the motivation techniques of the manager
- Performance evaluation: instruments, challenges and potential
- Management and management of high performance teams
- Transformational leadership and adaptive leadership
- Organizational culture as a leadership factor
- Public ethics and deontology of the public servant: conflicts of values
- Ethical infrastructure, integrity frameworks: how to promote integrity and prevent corruption in the public sector
Subject 9. Management Skills and Competencies
Compulsory 2nd semester.3 credits.
- Effective oral communication skills in public and before media
- Skills for writing texts and preparing effective presentations
- Techniques for the resolution of interpersonal conflicts
- Techniques for the development of emotional intelligence
- Techniques for delegation and empowerment
- Techniques for organization and management
- Management stress of the manager
- Labor mobbing
Subject 10. Innovation and Open Government
Compulsory 2nd semester.6 credits.
- Modernization of Public Administration: new trends in network management
- Advances in new technologies applied to the administration: electronic government
- Participatory democracy and its application to the Public Administration: citizen participation and open government
- Transparency in administration
- Right of access to public information
- Data reuse and online participation: good governance as open government
Final Master's Project
Required. 2nd semester.9 credits.
Permanent Seminar on Administration and Public Economics
Of monographic character, in which personalities of the policy, the Administration and the scientific community participate (complementary activity, 16 hours).
Development of the program
In order to pass the academic training period, students must complete 60 ECTS credits: 51 of them will be obtained by satisfactorily passing the different subjects and the remaining 9 credits will be acquired with the Final Master's Project. All the credits are distributed, in a balanced way, throughout the two semesters of the course. In the first semester, the credits correspond exclusively to teaching subjects. In the second semester, the teaching subjects are combined with the Final Master's Project.
The Master's Degree lasts one academic year, starting in October 2019 and ending in June 2020. It consists of 12 sessions that are held monthly at the headquarters of Instituto Universitario de Investigación Ortega y Gasset (C / Fortuny , 53), on Thursdays and Fridays, in the morning and afternoon, and on Saturdays in the morning.
The Master includes ten thematic subjects that express different objectives and contents of importance for the management. The contents of the subjects combine the concepts with the most advanced techniques in management and public management for the approach and resolution of problems of increasing complexity. The practical classes have a fundamental component of the student's personal work, both individually and as a group, incorporating case analysis, problem solving and simulations.
Students who can not take the Master in the annual period in which it is offered, for justified reasons of a personal and / or professional nature, may qualify for part-time studies. Thus, students can formalize their first enrollment in September, taking the 27 credits that are developed during the first semester (October to February). The second enrollment can be formalized in September of the following year to complete the remaining 33 credits that take place during the second semester (March to June).
The program is complemented with the celebration of days, seminars and scientific meetings open to all the promotions of the Masters of Instituto Universitario de Investigación Ortega y Gasset .
The City Council of Madrid, the City Council of Alcobendas, the Community of Madrid, the National Institute of Social Security, the Regional Government of Castilla-La Mancha, the Ministry of Defense, the Ministry of Development, the Secretariat State of Security of the Ministry of the Interior, the Civil Guard, the National Police Force and the Ibero-American Youth Organization.
Students who choose the online mode, will have all the compulsory and recommended materials for the development of the course in the on-line platform of the Master: bibliography, documents, electronic resources, etc.
The study methodology of the online course will have:
- Guardianship or follow-up of the students by the teachers assigned to each of the modules, as well as answer to the doubts that the students may pose. The tutelage supposes the individual or group supervision of the acquisition of the knowledge that is persecuted with this program.
- Personal tutoring e-presencial (chat, email)
- Virtual platform accessible from any device. On the platform, the student will have the materials, forums, chat, etc.
- Chat: students can communicate, when and where they want, using the different channels that the Master puts at their disposal as the chat, the discussion forum and blogs.
Test exercises: series of exercises may be performed to check the pace of acquisition of the knowledge required to obtain the title.
To access the Master's Degree in Public Senior Management, it is necessary to hold a university degree or undergraduate degree, or another one issued by a higher education institution belonging to the European Higher Education Area (EHEA).
In the case of graduates in educational systems outside the EHEA, they will be admitted without having to approve their qualifications, as long as they accredit a level of training equivalent to the respective official Spanish university degrees, and submit the title issued by their respective countries. access to postgraduate training. This way will not suppose, in no case, the homologation of the title, nor its recognition to other effects that the one of studying the teachings of Máster.
With regard to the area of knowledge of the candidates that aspire to attend the High Public Management, the ideal income profile required is that of students in possession of an official university degree, preferably with professional experience in carrying out the Group's own tasks A of officials or analogous of labor personnel (senior management contracts or senior graduates with management tasks), who wish to receive training for action ( policy applied ). For foreign officials, group A will be the analogous one, in category and level of responsibility, existing in the corresponding country.
The admission criteria among those who meet the minimum requirements are the following:
- Professional experience in management positions (priority), or pre-directors (second option), of the Public Administration
- Motivation letter about the reasons for carrying out the program
- Other professional merits (participation in congresses, publications, membership in commissions ...)
- Academic qualification of access (priority for Graduates / Graduates in Social and Legal Sciences)
- Academic record of the previous degree. The average grade of the academic record is taken into account.
The Directorate of the Master's Degree in Public Senior Management will carry out the examination and assessment of the pre-registration applications received, and will approve the proposal of admitted candidates according to the criteria indicated above, for its definitive consideration by the Academic Committee of the program.
The process of selecting students for the Master's Degree in Public Senior Management consists of the following phases:
- Reception of the applications of the candidates and analysis of their merits. The selection of students who meet the minimum requirements will take into account mainly their professional experience.
- Application for a letter of motivation to the applicants, in order to justify the reasons that leads them to enroll in the program. On the basis of this letter and the alleged merits an interview could be developed.
In the first phase, candidates who meet the minimum requirements will be pre-selected according to the following merit criteria (50 points maximum):
- Previous professional experience of at least 5 years in positions of managerial responsibility (priority), or pre-directive (second option), in Public Administrations: in particular, performance of managerial functions and / or responsibility for programs, policies and services in the public sector (Up to 25 points - 50%).
- Other merits and professional experiences: participation in congresses, publications, membership in commissions ... (Up to 15 points - 30%).
- Academic training and adaptation of the student profile to the Master: Graduates / Graduates in Social and Legal Sciences (Up to 10 points - 20%).
In the second phase, the personal interview takes place, if deemed necessary.
This process is done by the program's management. Its objective is to identify the attitudes of the candidates, to contrast the information contained in the motivation letter and the curriculum vitae, and to know in depth the professional expectations of the participants. This process guarantees a high degree of integration in the composition of the groups, which will facilitate the use of the subjects, their internal functioning and the success of the program.
Together with the accreditation of the aforementioned competencies, the principle of gender equality will be maintained, which will at least comply with the provisions of Organic Law 3/2007, of March 22, for effective equality between men and women; as well as, although not mentioned specifically in the previous relationship, Law 51/2003, of December 2, on equal opportunities, non-discrimination and universal accessibility for people with reduced mobility.
Universal accessibility will be guaranteed and it will be supervised that students with reduced mobility will have the resources and support necessary for the correct development of the Master. You will be asked for your specific needs in the enrollment process.
Pre-registration and admission process
The first regular pre-admission period for the 2019/2020 academic year begins on February 5 and ends on April 15. A second pre-admission period will open from April 30 to July 19. In the event that a vacancy occurs, an extraordinary pre-admission period will be opened from September 1 to September 23.
During the pre-admission process, the student must send the admission request to the address email@example.com , forwarding the following scanned documentation. Subsequently, you must send the original documents by postal mail to the following address: Instituto Universitario de Investigación Ortega y Gasset (c / Fortuny, 53 - 28010-MADRID).
The Instituto Universitario de Investigación Ortega y Gasset reserves the right to cancel the Master's edition, if there is not enough students to guarantee the viability of the same.
- Curriculum vitae
- Brief explanatory report of the reasons for carrying out the program (20-25 lines)
- Photocopy of the passport or DNI with the original certificate
- 2 Passport size photos
- Legalized photocopy of the Superior Degree of graduate and graduate with the original certification
- Letters of recommendation (optional)
- Legalized photocopy of the certification of the studies carried out that shows the official duration, in academic years, of the study plan followed, the courses taken and the workload of each of them with the original certification.
In addition, graduates from outside the European Higher Education Area, or without an approved foreign higher education degree, must submit:
- Certification of the University in which the studies have been completed and in which it is clear that these qualify for access to postgraduate studies in the issuing country. Students with foreign qualifications not approved or in process of approval must present the documents duly legalized and translated into Spanish, if applicable.
The Instituto Universitario de Investigación Ortega y Gasset notify the student of the pre-admission, and from that moment on, he will have a period of 10 days to formalize the reservation of the place.
In the case of the extraordinary pre-admission period, the delivery of the documentation described above must be made before September 30.
The students of Instituto Universitario de Investigación Ortega y Gasset enrolled in the official Master's programs may apply for a scholarship from the Institute's Excellence Program. These scholarships will cover 30% of the tuition fee, excluding the fees paid to the University of reference.
Each student wishing to apply for an Excellence Scholarship will have to submit to the Institute's secretariat an application instance stating:
- Personal information
- The Master in which he is enrolled
- The documentation that contributes
- The scholarships that you have requested or intend to apply for in any public or private call
The scholarship application must be made at the time of registration, no later than September 10, 2019.
The application for the scholarship must be sent to the Institute's secretariat at the same time the payment of the reservation of the place is made.
The criteria for granting the scholarships are: academic record (70%), personal or family situation (10%), residence outside of Madrid in the year prior to enrollment (10%), and personal motivation (10%). Students must submit documentation that certifies each of these criteria and may attach two letters of recommendation from teachers. The Institute may request the selected students to prove the authenticity of the documents submitted with originals or certified copies.
The Academic Commission that grants the scholarships will be integrated by the director of the Institute, the general director of the José Ortega y Gasset - Gregorio Marañón Foundation and two professors of the Institute appointed at the proposal of the director of the Institute and the general director. The directors of each Master will send to the Institute's address, before November 15 of each year, a motivated report, according to the aforementioned criteria, with a scholarship award proposal in which a priority will be established among the students who have requested scholarship in his Master. The Commission, according to the reports received, will raise a scholarship award proposal before December 1 of each year.
The Excellence Scholarships of Instituto Universitario de Investigación Ortega y Gasset are incompatible with any other public or private scholarship granted to the student to take the Master in which he has enrolled in the Institute. The scholarship holder is obliged to inform the Institute of any other scholarship granted, within a period of 10 days from its granting. The Institute will claim the student the amount that would have been granted for the Excellence Scholarship of the Institute if this circumstance occurred.
The amount of the scholarship will be applied to the last term of the tuition payment. The Institute may request scholarship students to carry out extracurricular practices in support of the teaching, research and cultural activities of the institution, which will be recognized by a certificate. These practices do not imply a labor or commercial relationship with the institution or be remunerated.
Scholarships of the Menéndez Pelayo International University
The UIMP makes a call for study grants for university Masters (partial tuition scholarships), in order to promote the participation in their postgraduate studies to enrolled students who present a brilliant academic career. The conditions of the call, terms, requirements, incompatibilities, deadlines and procedures are published each academic year on the UIMP website ( http://www.uimp.es ).
Scholarships of the ALUMNI Program
Former students of Instituto Universitario de Investigación Ortega y Gasset will be entitled to a 5% discount on any new program they enroll. This discount, which will be considered a scholarship, will be applied to the tuition fee, excluding the fees paid to the University of reference. The discount will be applied in the last installment of the tuition payment.
To apply for this scholarship, the student will have to submit an application to the Institute's secretariat, as well as the documentation that proves that he or she has been a student of the Institute.
In no case, this discount will be applied to second or successive enrollments of subjects that have not been approved or to subjects of the same program that have not been completed in the first year of enrollment.
Discount for prompt payment
Students who formalize the first payment of their enrollment in any official Master of the Institute before May 16, this included, will be entitled to a scholarship of 5% discount of the tuition fee, excluding the fees paid to the University of reference.
The discount will be applied in the last installment of the tuition payment. Students must submit an application to the secretary of the Institute, along with proof of the first payment before May 16.
Find out about the preferred financing conditions for your postgraduate studies. We believe that economic issues should not be an obstacle in your training.
About the School
Fundado en 1986, el Instituto Universitario de Investigación Ortega y Gasset (IUIOG) es un centro de posgrado e investigación equivalente, en esencia, a las graduate schools de las universidades norte ... Read More