Advance your career with an Online Master's Degree in Crop Sciences. Our program focuses on relevant agricultural issues backed by the academic reputation of a world-class research institution.
From plant biotechnology to sustainable food and fuel production systems, our internationally recognized faculty are educating the future leaders of our industry to use the latest advancements in science and technology to improve food and fuel production. The Department of Crop Sciences offers undergraduate, graduate, and online degrees.
Our department offers students many opportunities to succeed. When our students graduate, they often have more than two lucrative job opportunities waiting. The demand for our students is high and the future looks even more promising for well-trained scientists.
How to Apply
Online Master's Degree students apply through the Graduate College of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Bachelor's Degree with a 3.0 GPA for the last two years of undergraduate study
- If you have less than a 3.0 GPA, we recommend applying for a Professional Development Certificate.
Complete 32 hours of coursework for academic credit, and maintain a B grade average or better. Courses are taught in a live format on a fixed schedule.
Of the 32 hours, 12 hours of coursework must be at the 500 level.
Following the completion of your coursework, you must pass a comprehensive exam administered by faculty and the Online Programs Coordinator.
Fulfill the list of core course requirements from the following list:
Online MS Program Core Courses
- CPSC 594 – Professional Orientation CPSC (1 hr, Fall) *Required
- CPSC 505 – Research Methods in Plant Sciences (4 hrs, Spring) *Required
- CPSC 412 – Principles of Crop Advising (3 hrs, Fall) *required
Crops/Crop Production – One Required
- CPSC 415 – Bioenergy Crops (3 hrs, Fall)
- HORT 435 – Urban Food Production (3 hrs, Fall)
- CPSC 599 – Digital Agriculture (3hrs, Spring)
Genetics/Plant Improvement– One Required
- CPSC 466 – Genomics for Plant Improvement (2 hrs, Fall)
- CPSC 563 – Chromosomes (3 hrs, Summer)
- CPSC 499 – International Plant Breeding (3hrs, TBD)
Plant Physiology/Nutrition– One Required
- CPSC 588 – Plant Biochemistry (4 hrs, Spring)
- CPSC 422 – Plant Nutrition and Fertility Management (3 hrs, Fall)
- CPSC 486 – Plant Growth and Development (3hrs, Fall)
Pest Management– One Required
- CPSC 408 – Integrated Pest Management (3 hrs, Spring)
- CPSC 527 – Weed Sciences and Management (3 hrs, Spring)
- PLPA 405 – Plant Disease Diagnosis & Management (3 hrs, Fall)
Environmental Aspects – One Required
- CPSC 413 – Agriculture, Food and The Environment (2 hrs, Summer)
- CPSC 416 – Native Plants, Pollinators, and Food Ecosystems (3 hrs, Fall)
- CPSC 417 – Water and Agriculture in the 21st Century (3hrs, Fall)
- HORT 430 – Children and Nature (2 hrs, Spring)
Statistics – Recommended
- CPSC 440 – Applied Statistical Methods (4 hrs, Fall)
About the School
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences
ACES is a diverse college with top-rated programs in engineering, agricultural sciences, economics, nutritional science, and more. While our faculty and student body have various specialties and areas ... Read More