The online Master of Social Work at Saint Mary's University of Minnesota prepares you for clinical practice. As a graduate, you'll gain autonomy in your partnerships with clients, working directly with individuals, couples, families, and communities to diagnose mental health conditions, treat issues, and more. Help those who are struggling to change their behaviors and develop coping mechanisms to thrive in challenging situations.
- Coursework Is 100% Online. You can work full time and earn your degree when and where it's best for you. Note that the fieldwork element of the program will be conducted in person.
- No Experience Necessary. The 60-credit Traditional Track is offered to students without a Bachelor's in Social Work (BSW) degree and provides the skills and competencies necessary to work in clinical practice.
- Advanced Standing Track. Professionals with a BSW degree save time and money in this 30-credit track.
- Strong Lasallian Values. We pursue excellence in teaching and learning, and personally respond to students' intellectual, spiritual, and developmental needs, whatever they may be.
- An Affordable Degree. Tuition for this valuable program is kept reasonable as part of our commitment to our Lasallian mission of serving our community, and teaching students to do the same.
- Rigorous Practicum. Gain experience in direct practice in a safe environment where professional feedback helps develop your new skills.
Choose Your Path to a Career in Social Work
- Traditional Track. This 60-credit track is offered to students without a BSW degree. You first complete foundational coursework, then move on to a clinical focus.
- Advanced Standing Track. If you hold a BSW degree, you can save time and money by starting with clinical coursework immediately following enrollment in this 30-credit program.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional behavior
- Employ diversity and difference in practice
- Advance human rights and social, economic, and environmental justice
- Engage in practice-informed research and research-informed practice
- Inform policy and collaborate with macro social workers and policymakers
- Assess, intervene, and evaluate practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities
Social Work Careers*
The industry's overall job-growth projection of 16 percent1 is more than double that of the national average, and some related titles are growing even faster. Below, you'll find specific clinical social worker positions that you could qualify for:
- Child, Family, & School Social Workers
- 14% Job Growth1 | Mean Advertised Salary: $53,6142
- Healthcare Social Workers
- 20% Job Growth1 | Mean Advertised Salary: $64,6392
- Mental Health Counselor
- 19% Job Growth1 | Mean Advertised Salary: $57,8202
- Social & Community Service Managers
- 18% Job Growth3 | Mean Advertised Salary: $64,1003
- https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/social-workers.htm (visited August 28, 2018).
- Burning Glass Technologies. Accessed week of August 28, 2018.
- https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/social-and-community-service-managers.htm (visited August 28, 2018).
*Students must have graduated from a program accredited by the Council for Social Work Education (CSWE) to be eligible to pursue social work licensure. At this time, Saint Mary's is preparing to pursue CSWE accreditation for its Master of Social Work program but has not yet formally entered the candidacy phase required to obtain accreditation. CSWE states that accreditation applies retroactively to program graduates once it is obtained, but students should check with their state social work board to verify that they will be eligible to apply for licensure in their state if they graduate from a program before it is accredited.
Applicants for social work licensure must also meet additional requirements in every state and U.S. territory, including but not limited to additional training, coursework, and supervised clinical experiences. Requirements vary by state. It is the student's responsibility to verify licensing requirements with their state social work board.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 18, 2018