A key aim of the programme is to enable practitioners to integrate knowledge from a range of fields into the generation of performance solutions. Teaching and learning methods will be based on a blended learning format that will include a combination of online lectures, independent study, work-based assessments, residential stay weeks and regular forum contributions. Through these methods, practitioners will gain advanced knowledge of the theories and scientific principles that underpin sports performance, exercise and coaching.
This programme provides the basis for the macro and micro planning decisions that underpin effective performance coaching. In total, we provide a coherent approach to managing and applying current skills and practices necessary to advance the conditioning and monitoring system for the applied coach or practitioner within a development, elite movement, exercise and sporting environment. These modules, together with the practicum, will enable the practitioner to make effective decisions regarding the programming of enhanced movement quality and fitness/conditioning development in a progressive manner. Further, the modules will enhance the practitioner’s capability to critically appraise and integrate technology into an effective performance plan within their respective environments.
This programme includes the important area of sports and exercise nutrition which aims to expand the skillset and competencies of the student within both exercise and nutritional science using evidence-based science. The performance coach will also gain a greater understanding of the principles of applied coaching which relate to the development of the athlete/performer and the factors related to his or her longevity. Further, the psychology of coaching which will also consider the ‘softer’ skills of performance coaching, such as communication and meaningful leadership are important components for the practitioner to hone. In addition, the practitioner will require an in-depth understanding and capacity to oversee the management of data within a growing technologically based performance and exercise environment. Having competency in data analysis skills is essential within a performance environment where there is technology driven data saturation. This will also link with building research skills which will advance the standard of work and the ability to effectively appraise the evidence used to support the decision making of the coach or exercise specialist and the performer’s support team.
- Advanced Conditioning and Recovery Methods
- Coaching & Monitoring Technology
- Data Management and Research Methods
- Movement Analysis and Biomedical Aspects
- Sport and Exercise Nutrition
- Applied Coaching
- Applied Project
The programme duration is 84 weeks. This includes:
- 6 Online Modules (each module is 12 weeks in duration)
- 2 separate on-site residential weeks, practical application, and lectures.
- Final Project (additional 3 months to complete)
Much of the learning on the course will occur through a mix of online modules and experiential learning, however, a key part of the course will be residential. Whilst the content of each residential will be dependent upon the modules undertaken, the overarching objectives will be similar. Each residential will be designed to achieve the following three objectives:
- To provide hands-on instruction and experience in the practical elements of the course content. Even though the course is focused mainly on an evidence-based practice approach, practical competency in the application of theory to practice and in the ‘art’ and ‘craft’ of coaching will be emphasized. Further, the competence in the use of and interpretation of data using a wide range of coaching technologies and the coaching process will be central to the face to face environment and thus the residential will ensure that practitioners receive high-class instruction in the key practical elements required for effective industry practice.
- To allow for practical assessments and presentation-based assessments to be carried out.
- To provide contextualisation and critical discussion of the topics covered in the online material. This will essentially be a flipped classroom approach to teaching. This medium will allow practitioners to share experiences and provide a highly interactive learning environment.
A Joint Programme by:
Setanta College and the Irish American University
The Master of Science in Performance Coaching is awarded by Irish American University under its accreditation by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, one of the world’s leading accrediting bodies. Furthermore, Setanta College Professional Advisory Board, other subject matter experts, and international sporting organisations have informed, reviewed, and approved the course content. This includes World Rugby, the Titleist Performance Institute, and the NSCA who recognise our programmes and qualifications.
We have partnered with leading sports technology companies for this programme. Each partner has provided an overview of the background, current technology and future developments within sports performance analysis which is included in our modules. During the residential weeks, each of these companies will be represented to demonstrate the use and application of their product range.
What Our Students & Tutors Have To Say
Luke Davey - Master of Science Student
Luke Davey is Strength & Conditioning Manager at Hong Kong Rugby. Here he talks to Damian Lawlor about the role education and development has played with the advent of professionalism at HKR.
Des Ryan - Guest Tutor
Des Ryan, Head of Sports Medicine and Athletic Development at the Arsenal FC Academy, caught up with Damian Lawlor during a workshop week.
Course Details & Enrolment
Each module will be assessed using an applied project.
Our internationally accredited and industry-recognised qualification will give you:
- An advanced understanding of both current and emerging technology, knowledge and practice in performance science.
- Practical coaching skills in the application of technology in sport.
- Preparation and encouragement to pursue future coaching and performance management opportunities.
- Higher order creative, critical and reflective thinking skills that encourage application and evaluation.
- A multidisciplinary approach to working confidently within sport and human performance at an elite level.
This course will produce graduates capable of coaching, planning, managing and implementing the latest sports technology and methodologies based on current science and its practical application. As such, it is expected that graduates will be well prepared to accept high levels of responsibility within a variety of sports and fitness industry sectors. They include but are not limited to:
- Elite and Amateur levels in Team and Individual Sports
- National Governing Bodies of Sport (NGB)
- Health and Public sector
- Health and Fitness industry
- Freelance and Consultancy
- Sports Technology, Equipment and Performance Science
Our Alumni are highly employable throughout the world. Currently, our graduates are engaged in the following sectors:
- Premiership Football
- European Golf Tour
- PGA Tour (USA)
- AFL Australia
- Australia Rugby Union
- England Rugby Union
- Irish Rugby Football Union
- French Rugby Federation
- NFL (USA)
- World Rugby
- International Sports Teams
Candidates may be accepted onto the programme with a 2.1 degree in any one of the following:
- Strength and Conditioning, Sports Science, Sports Physiotherapy, Athletic Training or a similar field of study and at least three years relevant professional experience
- An appropriate professional qualification (such as CSCS, UKSCA) and at least five years of relevant experience
- Special Case Registrations: prospective participants who do not meet the entry requirements for the programme detailed above, but who may qualify for admission by meeting certain other equivalent criteria, should apply to the College Administrator for consideration. An interview may form part of the selection process for all application routes.
English proficiency to be demonstrated through any of the following:
- GCSE pass in English at Grade C or above
- IELTS with an average overall score of 6.5 for postgraduate study with at least a 5.5 in each component TOEFL IBT minimum score of 88 IBT for Postgraduate **
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE): exams taken from January 2015 – overall score of 176 for postgraduate study with at least 162 in each component; exams taken before January 2015 – Grade C and no less than borderline in each skill for undergraduate and postgraduate
- Trinity College English Language qualifications: ISE III Pass for postgraduate taught courses and research applications City and Guild’s IESOL/ISESOL tests at expert and mastery levels (C2 and C1) for the majority of postgraduate programs.
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) with a minimum of 67 points in each element for the majority of postgraduate programs
Recognition and Accreditation
Designed, Validated and Accredited by Industry Experts and Organisations
The Master of Science in Performance Coaching is awarded by Irish American University under its accreditation by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. This is one of the world’s leading accrediting bodies, recognised globally, and comes under the US Dept. of Education’s Council of Higher Education Accreditation.
Furthermore, Setanta College Professional Advisory Board, other subject matter experts, and international sporting organisations have informed, reviewed, and approved the course content. This includes World Rugby, the Titleist Performance Institute and the NSCA (National Strength & Conditioning Association) who recognise our programmes and qualifications.
Fees & How To Apply
- EU Students: €9,500
- International Students: $13,500
- Next Course Starts: September 24th 2019
IMPORTANT: There is no automatic entry on to the Programme. To be considered for the Master of Science in Performance Coaching, please complete the Application Form on our website.
About the School
Welcome to Setanta College, an internationally renowned centre of excellence in all aspects of strength & conditioning and athletic development. Founded in 2006, our passion is to help people real ... Read More