Security and Analytics Concentration
The Santee Cooper Master of Science in Information Systems Technology (MSIST) program with a concentration in security and analytics prepares future leaders in the areas of information security and data analytics through critical examination of both academic and practical applications of various segments of the information security and data analytics industry. The faculty seek to challenge, cultivate, and engage students into becoming knowledgeable and skilled information security and data analytics professionals.
Non-CS/IS/IT Undergraduates (UG) require course credit, or CCU equivalent, in the following:
- Computer Networks or Information Security
- Programming or Web Development
- Database Design or SQL Development
- Elementary or Business Statistics
Students may come from other science/math/business majors, perhaps with a minor in CS/IS/IT, or they may have related work experience. If the prospective student does not have the above UG credits, but all other admission criteria are satisfactory, then the student can be accepted on aprobationary basis that the student must obtain UG credits with grades of 'B' or better in the above mentioned courses prior to taking any graduate coursework for the program.
Application Requirements (in addition to the standard admission requirements):
- Completion of application form and payment of application fee.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution or the equivalent at a foreign institution based on a four-year degree with 3.0 GPA or higher.
- Official transcripts from each school or college previously attended.
- International students whose native language is not English must submit scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a score of at least 575 (paper-based test) or 89 (internet- based test) on the TOEFL or 6.5 on the IELTS with no subscore lower than 5.0 on the IELTS, or, students may complete the ELS Centers level 112 English language training program. Must match application and international standards, as well as SACS requirements.
- Submission of two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the academic ability, level of responsibility, and work ethic of the applicant.
- A written statement of educational and career goals, how this degree will fulfill those goals, and the area of interest while completing this degree.
Applicants may receive provisional admission to the MSIST program if they do not meet the stated admission requirements and are entering the University for the first time or are returning to the University after an extended absence. Students who are provisionally admitted are limited to 12 credit hours of graduate course work towards the degree program.
Removal of Provisional Status
To remove provisional status the student must, within the first two academic semesters (either Fall, Spring, or Spring, Fall):
- Earn a B or better in two core courses;
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA in all graduate courses taken;
- Earn a B or better in all undergraduate prerequisites required as specified in the provisional acceptance letter.
Graduate Tuition per semester *
In-state: $593/credit hour
Out-of-state: $1,072/credit hour
* Tuition costs include required technology fee: $90 for full-time students, $5 per credit hour for part-time and graduate students.
About the School
Coastal Carolina University is a dynamic public institution located in Conway, just minutes from the resort area of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.