Online Master of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
The field of Criminal Justice centers on the control of criminal behavior in the maintenance of public order. It includes the primary functions of law enforcement, prosecution, trial, corrections, juvenile offenders, handling evidence, crime scene investigation and associated responsibilities. In addition, it covers the secure management, safekeeping, and control of inmates committed to jail or prison custody, which must be performed in a humane manner in compliance with the constitutional standards. The Master of Science in Criminal Justice degree prepares students for entry and advancement in criminal justice-related career. Students will gain advanced knowledge of the justice system and law enforcement process, from police patrol procedures, the courts, terrorism, forensic science, correctional facilities and the systems of probation and parole.
Students who earn a Master of Science in Criminal Justice typically pursue these careers:
- Manager of Corrections Officers
- Police Management
- Criminal Justice Teacher
- Federal Law Enforcement Agent
Graduates of this program are prepared to provide leadership in agencies and institutions of the criminal justice system. Upon successful completion of the program, students will have acquired the knowledge and skills needed to:
- Evaluate the scientific study of crime, criminals, the law-making process, the criminal justice system and the treatment of offenders.
- Develop critical thinking, analytical and interpersonal skills applicable to real-world problems.
- Implement innovative solutions for law enforcement, criminal investigation, and management and administration of criminal justice related activities.
- Develop the qualifications to advance in administrative and managerial positions in the criminal justice industry or related fields.
- Apply advanced research in the collection, analysis, and reporting of criminal justice related information and empirical data.
- Develop an advanced understanding of ethical practices and professionalism as they apply in fields of criminal justice.
- Develop problem-solving skills to identify and implement solutions to issues confronting practitioners in areas of criminal justice.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 28, 2017