The three-semester UF Master of Science in Architectural Studies (major in Sustainable Design) program leads to a post-graduate professional degree in the specialized field of sustainable design. Open to applicants with a bachelor’s degree in any field, it is an excellent opportunity for enhancing a student’s educational background, professional qualifications or teaching credentials through individualized, in-depth and interdisciplinary research in specific areas under the guidance of faculty specialists.
The program is what’s known in the industry as a hybrid distance education program. It is designed for participants who are working or for whatever reason, cannot pick up and leave to attend a master’s program full time. We use a variety of tools to ensure that the program is equal to or better than what you would experience if you were on campus full time.
Each course has lectures, readings assignments and online assessments which are delivered asynchronously-meaning that you can study according to your schedule and review the material as often as necessary. Additional, we have a weekly video conference to discuss the course materials with the group-essentially it’s a graduate seminar format.
We have several “fly-in” sessions to give everyone face-to-face time in concentrated workshop formats. There are two trips Gainesville and one to Singapore/the Netherlands-the airfare and food of which are in addition to the tuition (we provide accommodations and local transportation on these trips).
- A four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or a four-year international equivalent. And
- Some professional work experience defined broadly that can serve as a foundation for the field of sustainability. Some design experience or training is useful but not required as this is an interdisciplinary program. And
- An official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score. A score of 140 on the verbal section is considered a minimum by the Graduate Council. And
- A statement of purpose for enrolling in the program (about 2 pages double spaced) specifically addressing applicant’s qualifications, research interest to pursue for the thesis and other relevant information. And
- Three letters of recommendation from people qualified to assess your academic performance or professional experience.
English Requirements (if native language is not English):
- TOEFL IBT 80, or
- IELTS 6, or
- MELAB 77
Total Course Duration/Instruction Hours
- Full Time: 12 Months/360 hours
- Part Time: 12 Months/360 hours
Mode of Delivery, Class Size and Intake
- Delivery:Online classes, Lectures and Tutorials
- Class Size:Minimum Ten (10) - Maximum Twenty Five (25), Student-faculty Ratio: 12:1
- Intake:May of each year
- International Sustainable Development 4CR
- Sustainable Design Problem Solving 4CR
- Ecological Issues in Sustainability 4CR
- Design Studio in Sustainability 6CR
- Comparative Law and Policy for Sustainability 3CR
- Greening Existing Buildings 2CR
- Capstone Project Proposal Development 1CR
- Sustainability Capstone Project 6CR
- Electives in Sustainable Design 4CR
- Cases of Sustainability in Practice (study tour in US) 2CR
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017