Why choose between policy and administration when you can learn and perfect the core competencies of both disciplines? American University’s online Master of Public Administration and Policy (MPAP) program combines our School of Public Affairs' top-ranked, nationally recognized and NASPAA-accredited MPA and MPP degree programs into one foundational, highly marketable credential.
Located in Washington, D.C., American University places you in the center of government interplay. As a student at American University, you are uniquely positioned for success through our student-centered learning approach paired with the power of American’s extensive alumni network and connections.
Highly-competitive internships through the U.S. Government Pathways program, as well as post-graduation internships in the Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) program, are common internships our students have during and after their MPAP program.
- For the past two years, American University has produced more PMF finalists than any other university in the country. AU has a 98 percent success rate of its finalists becoming fellows.
- Fellows receive 160 hours of intensive management and leadership training at one or more federal agencies, complete a four-to-six-month developmental assignment, and are eligible for full-time positions upon completion.
Be a Leader in Public Service
American University’s online Master of Public Administration and Policy degree arms you with the skills and knowledge needed to master the interdependency between public administration, policy, and the critical role both play in modern governance. The online MPAP program will help you gain the ability to seamlessly and successfully navigate the government’s numerous stakeholders through coursework focused on:
- Analytics and research
- Problem-solving skills
- Creative thinking
- Management and leadership
- Legal, ethical and constitutional consideration in public service
In 2018, U.S. News & World Report America’s Best Graduate Schools ranked American University’s School of Public Affairs:
- No. 18, Top Schools: Public Affairs
- No. 5, Top Public Management Administration Program
- No. 12, Top Nonprofit Management Program
- No. 23, Top Public Finance and Budgeting Program
- No. 26, Top Public-Policy Analysis Program
Program taught in: