Designed to be completed in as little as 16 months, our Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree online curriculum pulls from a broad range of disciplines to provide both foundational and specialized information of value to anyone pursuing a public administration career.
Beyond exploring the structure of political, social, and institutional systems, your online MPA courses will cover topics like data analysis, budgeting, ethical decision-making, fundraising, HR and volunteer management, and leadership—all within the context of helping public and nonprofit organizations to maximize their impact and achieve their goals.
- Upon completion of the Master of Public Administration program, students should be able to:
- Apply a broad conceptual framework to public administration issues, which will include economic, political, legal, and social institutions and processes that affect the actions and decisions of political leaders and public managers.
- Communicate clearly, orally and in writing, their understanding of the challenges of government agencies and many public sector problems/issues and the multiple paths for solutions.
- Demonstrate effective teamwork and communication skills in order to build strategic alliances within political and administrative structures.
- Apply quantitative analysis and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate the attainment of discipline-specific knowledge and the practical skills to be effective in the field.
Haven’t experienced online learning before or wondering what it’s like to earn your degree online at South University? While the mode of learning is different from the traditional classroom experience with added convenience and flexibility, we hold the same high standards of academic excellence in the online classroom.
South University’s online programs combine a curriculum designed for student outcomes and a classroom designed for flexibility and engagement. Our online classroom learning platform, Brightspace, provides you with a host of features to enhance your learning experience, including:
- Advanced media content
- Personalized navigation
- A simplified online learning atmosphere
- Access to digital books
- Emailing and instant messaging options
We provide more than just an online classroom, bringing a range of campus experiences and services online. In addition, the online classroom is accessible on the go via mobile devices and with tools like the Pulse App. Pulse helps you stay connected and on track with your course by providing a number of features such as course calendars, readings and assignments, feedback and grades, and announcements.
As a graduate of the Master of Public Administration online program, you’ll be prepared to seek career opportunities within municipalities, states, provinces, the federal government, government agencies, non-profit organizations, and non-governmental organizations. Related jobs include:
- General and Operations Managers
- Transportation Managers
- Logistics Managers
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Regulatory Affairs Managers
- Compliance Managers
- Supply Chain Managers
Master of Public Administration: 48 Credits
Core: 44 Credits
- MBA6501 Strategic Human Resources Management, 4 Credit Hours
- MPA5001 Foundations of Public Administration, 4 Credit Hours
- MPA5005 Public and Non-profit Organizational Behavior, 4 Credit Hours
- MPA5010 Public and Non-profit Budgeting and Accounting, 4 Credit Hours
- MPA6001 Research and Data Analysis in Public Administration, 4 Credit Hours
- MPA6100 Non-profit Fundraising and Volunteer Development, 4 Credit Hours
- MPA6105 Grant Writing and Contract Administration, 4 Credit Hours
- MPA6110 Management of Non-profit Organizations, 4 Credit Hours
- MPA6115 Program Evaluation of Public and Non-profit Organizations, 4 Credit Hours
- MPA6501 State and Local Government and Intergovernmental Relations, 4 Credit Hours
- MPA6505 Legislative and Judicial Process, 4 Credit Hours
Capstone: 4 Credits
- MPA6999 Strategic Challenges in Public Administration, 4 Credit Hours
South University, Online Program offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
How to apply
We make the application process as smooth as possible so you can start earning your degree right away. Our admissions representatives will guide you through our three-step process.
- To get started, call 888-444-3404, to speak with an Admissions Representative or fill out our request information form.
- An admissions representative will review our degree programs with you, give you an overview of the admissions process, and help you complete the application process. You can take a guided tour of our campus or a virtual tour online. Apply Now
- A Finance Counselor will work with you to discuss options and qualifications and to develop a payment plan that works for you. Programs with alternative application procedures.
2020-21 Starting Dates
- June 2nd, 2020
- July 14th, 2020
- August 18th, 2020
- September 22nd, 2020
- October 27th, 2020
- December 1st, 2020
- January 12th, 2021
- February 16th, 2021
- March 23rd, 2021
- April 27th, 2021
- June 1st, 2021
About the School
South University provides a warm, supportive learning environment that will encourage you to engage with a community of faculty, staff, and students eager to play a role in helping you achieve your ed ... Read More