The Master of Library and Information Science degree program at the San José State University School of Information prepares graduate students for exciting careers as information professionals who work in myriad information environments and professional positions.
With numerous electives and variety of course topics available in the MLIS program, graduate students can customize their studies to fit their interests and career objectives.
Our MLIS students have the unique opportunity to participate in an innovative internship program. Our school works directly with internship site supervisors to maintain a database of more than 200 internship opportunities each semester, including virtual internships. Imagine interning at a high-tech Silicon Valley company without ever stepping foot in San José, California.
Convenient 100% Online Learning
The MLIS program is delivered exclusively online, meaning everything is offered online including courses, internships, academic advising, faculty office hours, guest speaker presentations, research assistant opportunities, convocation, and more!
There are no on-campus orientations or other required in-person events. Our students interact with peers and instructors through web conferencing, social networking platforms, a web-based learning management system, and other interactive environments.
Most course content is delivered asynchronously—giving students the freedom to access the course at any time they choose, from any location. Some courses also include occasional “live” synchronous sessions.
The MLIS program requires the successful completion of 43 units, including work that satisfies the requirement of a culminating experience (e-portfolio or thesis) in compliance with San José State University regulations and School of Information policies.
Learn with the Best
The MLIS program has a rich history at San José State University, with the first library science classes taught in 1928. The graduate degree program has been 100% online since 2009.
The American Library Association Committee on Accreditation reviewed the MLIS program in 2014 and granted re-accreditation for the maximum possible term of seven years with Continued status. The next comprehensive review visit is scheduled for spring 2021.
1. Course work and instruction are designed for online learning. Our instructors are experts in online teaching and only teach online courses.
2. Technology is at the forefront of everything we do, with dedicated resources to support the adoption of new technologies that advance our online learning environment.
3. All our students are online students, who may live across town or on the other side of the globe, providing a diversity of perspectives that enrich their learning journey.
4. All of our school’s resources are focused on supporting online students, including our career counseling, academic advising, and technology support team.
5. Our faculty can focus all their time, energy, and creativity on meeting the needs of our online students. Our programs are only offered online.
Applicants who meet the following requirements will be considered for admission in the Master of Library and Information Science program:
- A bachelor’s degree from any regionally accredited institution in any discipline with a GPA of at least 3.0 at the bachelor’s degree institution or in the last 60 semester or 90 quarter units. Course work completed after the bachelor’s degree will be included in the calculation; therefore, if the post bachelor’s degree course work causes the GPA to fall below 3.0, it will be cause for denial. (GPA can be raised by taking classes at any regionally accredited institution. The classes must be used in a degree program at that institution. They cannot be professional or personal development classes.)
- A general understanding of computers and technology. See Technology Literacy Requirements.
- Access to a computer with Internet connection and appropriate software. See Home Computing Requirements.
- International applicants must have a TOEFL score of 600 (paper version), 250 (computer version), or 100 (Internet-based); or an IELTS score of 8.
Note: We do not require a GMAT or GRE test, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, or a resume. Therefore, please do not include any of these in your application.