The Master of GIS and Remote Sensing from Charles Sturt University contains a high level of technological content designed to furnish research and practice in a variety of industries. Learn how to design and conduct remote sensing data gathering, alongside the best spatial science techniques and equipment.
This course will position you to use spatial science in arenas such as land mapping, satellite and aerial photographic image processing, remote sensing, land and resource management and spatial data analysis.
Build your knowledge and skills in spatial science and remote sensing technology from an introductory level through to a high level of expertise. Undertake independent study and project experience at the master's level.
- Advance your knowledge and skills:
As a graduate, you'll be able to apply your knowledge and skills in spatial science to collect, map, analyse and present information about the physical, ecological and built environment. Use your creativity, initiative and independent judgement to use specialised techniques to address a wide variety of spatial problems.
- Flexible study options:
Charles Sturt University is an experienced provider of online study, helping you to fit study into your life. You can study at your own pace and vary your pattern to suit your career aspirations. We understand you come to Charles Sturt University because you want an interesting career. You can vary, with permission from your course director, from the recommended pool of subjects to meet your career aspirations.
- Supporting industry needs:
We work in close association with industry, professions and government to ensure our courses meet and support industry needs. We contextualise learning in a way that empowers and motivates you while assisting you to develop key skills and knowledge required for employment, further education and active participation in your community.
- Choose your pathway:
This course offers exit points at the graduate certificate and graduate diploma levels. Exit points offer flexibility, allowing you to gain the GIS and remote sensing knowledge and qualification you need today, and to add to your credentials at a later date if necessary.
Demand for GIS and remote-sensing specialists is strong, with a broad range of career opportunities in private industry or in government. Graduates work in a range of industries requiring geographical information, including environmental management; asset management across government and the corporate sector; and community problem-solving, using geographic examination to inform community projects and building works.
"I enrolled in the Master of GIS & Remote Sensing and gained a solid foundation in both theoretical and technical aspects of the spatial sciences. This course and the supportive academic staff not only gave me the knowledge and skills to succeed but also the desire to keep learning in this diverse field of study."
Liam Grimmett – Master of GIS and Remote Sensing
For each 8 point subject, you are enrolled in, you should expect to spend 10 to 12 hours per week working on assignments and assigned readings, tutorial assistance, individual or group research/study, forum activity, workplace learning, and attending lectures, residential schools, or examinations.
If you are studying four subjects per session, this is equivalent to a full-time job. The workload for some subjects may vary as a result of approved course design.
As a Charles Sturt University student, throughout your course, you have a responsibility to continue to develop skills in English language, literacy and numeracy as appropriate to your discipline. This ongoing development will enable you to effectively participate in your course and graduate prepared to enter the workforce.
To graduate students must satisfactorily complete 96 points.
Gain an internationally recognised qualification with Charles Sturt University at one of our vibrant regional campuses, or study online from the comfort of your own home - anywhere in the world!
Please note: if you choose to study online with Charles Sturt University, the course study mode will not meet necessary requirements for granting Australian student visas.
- A completed AQF Bachelors Degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline. A relevant discipline will be considered to be any STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) discipline.
- A completed AQF Diploma in relevant discipline AND spatial sciences industry experience of at least 2 years, demonstrated by a detailed resume
- Standard English Language Proficiency requirements.
English language requirements
You can normally meet the English Language Proficiency (ELP) requirements for entry to most Charles Sturt University courses by doing one of the following:
- Providing evidence of having completed a sufficient standard of study in English.
- Obtaining Academic IELTS within the last 2 years, with a minimum overall score of 6 and no individual score below 5.5.
- Obtaining a qualification deemed to be equivalent to Academic IELTS (and its minimum scores) by Charles Sturt.
When it comes to postgraduate study, we understand that having the right kind of support is key to your success. You’ll enjoy flexible learning that allows you to fit study into your life, at a time that suits you. Our team are only a phone call or email away and you can even use our online chat for any questions you may have. We can also help you connect with scholarships, grants, loans, and assistance that can make further study affordable. At Charles Sturt University, we’re with you every step of the way.
- Charles Sturt University is Australia’s leading regional university. Charles Sturt campuses are small, friendly communities, based in vibrant regional Australian locations.
- Charles Sturt University is #1 for graduate employment, More Charles Sturt grads get jobs faster than grads from any other university in Australia. (Good Universities Guide 2020/21).
- Charles Sturt’s approach to teaching and learning combined with hands-on experience ensures graduates have the best opportunities to kickstart careers in their chosen profession.
About the School
Join the university with the highest graduate employment rate in Australia* – more Charles Sturt University grads get jobs faster than grads from any other uni. Employers know Charles Sturt grads are ... Read More