Transform the lives of your students by putting them on the right path for success. Winthrop University's online Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Special Education Intervention program prepares licensed teachers to build, lead and participate in intervention programs to support students who would otherwise be enrolled in Special Education programs. You will learn to provide nearly seamless support, from classroom instruction to intervention, that builds self-confidence and enhances the learning of your students.
- Practical - Practice what you learn in your current classroom environment by implementing intervention projects as part of your coursework.
- Specialized - Study a focused curriculum that equips you with the skills to coordinate and deliver evidence-supported interventions in the areas of behavior, literacy, and numeracy that can prevent the need for Special Education.
- Focused - All of your research from your selected focus area will build a portfolio of information that you can apply to your degree-culminating capstone paper.
- Expert - Learn from board-certified behavioral analysts, interventionists, psychologists and national advisory board members for Response to Intervention (RTI) and Multi-tiered System of Support (MTSS) programs.
A Special Curriculum Note: The M.Ed. in Intervention is housed in the Special Education Program at Winthrop because the assignments are developed to specifically address National Board Professional Teaching Standards; however, it is not exclusively a Special Education program and does not lead to specific licensure.
The M.Ed. program in Special Education Intervention prepares you for a variety of roles in K-12 education helping students with empirically validated, much-needed instructional and behavioral interventions. These positions include:
- Instructional Coach
- Elementary Instructional Coach
- Mathematics Instructional Coach
- Instructional Coach/Reading Specialist
- Academic Interventionist
- Behavioral Interventionist
- Literacy Interventionist
- Math Interventionist
- Teaching Interventionist
- RTI Intervention Teacher
- MTSS Manager
Graduate students may be eligible for federal loans. To apply, students must submit a FAFSA using Winthrop's school code of 003456.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- 3.0 GPA
- GRE/GMAT scores if GPA is under 3.0
- South Carolina Department of Education Class III Certificate or the equivalent from another state
The M.Ed. in Special Education Intervention program has three starts a year in August, January, and May.
About the School
Winthrop University is a public, comprehensive university located just outside of Charlotte, North Carolina, in Rock Hill, South Carolina, with a rich tradition spanning more than 130 years. Winthrop ... Read More