Build bright futures.
Students of every age must prepare to think deeply about solving the world’s most pressing problems — those at hand, and those of the future. They are tomorrow’s researchers, leaders, innovators, and educators. Unfortunately, too few teachers are prepared to teach the specific nuances of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM).
The Online Master of Education in STEM at William Woods is an interdisciplinary approach to teaching these concepts, with the purpose of removing barriers that separate these four disciplines, integrating them into real-world, rigorous and relevant learning experiences. Using the Next Generation Science Standards as a guide to comprehensive STEM education, specific principles and skills to be addressed as essential are:
- Asking questions and defining problems
- Developing and using models
- Planning and carrying out investigations
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Using mathematics and computational thinking
- Constructing explanations and designing solutions
- Engaging in arguments from evidence
- Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
Courses provide an in-depth understanding of the origin of STEM and its Guiding Principles, STEM literacy, and the integration of the content into and across K-12 curriculum. they teach the integration of technology (including coding), engineering (including robotics), and project-based learning with real-world applications into curricula.
YOUR DEGREE AT WORK
This degree prepares you to be a leader of any kind of STEM education in your school. You will learn how to teach the research process to students. In addition, because it is such a relevant topic in the world today, graduates can take these topics and research the implementation of these courses themselves or the application of these courses in the K-12 classroom.
Master of Education in STEM Courses
This degree comprises eight three-credit courses and a six-credit Capstone Project.
- EDU 564 STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math – An Introduction
- EDU 520 Research Design
- EDU 581 Integrating Technology into the Curriculum
- EDU 565 STEM: Engineering Design
- EDU 558 Software Applications for Academic Programs
- EDU 566 STEM: Technology and Coding
- EDU 567 STEM: Citizen Science-Project Based Learning
- EDU 590 Appraisal of Student Learning
- EDU 586 Action Research Capstone (6 cr. hr.)
- Completed application
- Official transcripts showing degree conferred with 2.5 GPA
THE WILLIAM WOODS DIFFERENCE
- OVER 145 YEARS OF ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE
- SCHEDULES DESIGNED FOR WORKING PROFESSIONALS
- U.S. NEWS AND WORLD REPORT TOP ONLINE PROGRAM
- 14TH IN AFFORDABLE ONLINE DEGREE PROGRAMS
- TOP 100 MIDWEST UNIVERSITY – U.S. NEWS AND WORLD REPORT
This school offers programs in: