Joint Degree with the University of Peloponnese
- Duration (years): 1.5 Years (3 Semesters)
- Qualification Awarded: Master of Education in Education of Adult Educators and Vocational Education and Training Trainers
- Level of Qualification: Master Degree (2nd Cycle)
- Language of Instruction: Greek
- Mode of Study: Distance Learning
- Minimum ECTS Credits: 90
Profile of the Programme
The purpose of the programme is to equip students with specialized knowledge in the field of adult education and vocational education and training through (a) the attendance of relevant modules, (b) the study of relevant literature and (c) the possibility of doing practical training. Moreover, the programme aims at cultivating research skills through (a) the attendance of specialized courses in quantitative and qualitative research and (b) either the undertaking of small-scale research projects in the framework of various modules and/or the authoring of a postgraduate research thesis.
The graduates of the Programme have a wide range of skills, as well as knowledge of effective teaching practices.
The range of professional opportunities for the graduates of the programme is very extensive and indicatively covers the following categories:
- Structures providing initial and continuing vocational education and training (ΙΕΚ, ΚΕΚ, Apprenticeships Schools, Department of Human Resources Development in various companies, etc.).
- Structures offering lifelong learning programmes to vulnerable groups of adults (Centers for Life Long Learning supervised by Local Authorities, Centers for Adult Education, Second Chance Schools, NGOs, etc.).
- A structure providing nonformal or informal education programmes combining education and cultural activities (Museums, Galleries, Cultural Foundations, Libraries, etc.).
Access to Further Studies
Graduates of the programme can be accepted into Third Cycle degrees (Doctorate Degree).
Applications are examined only by applicants fulfilling the minimum entrance criteria, as outlined below:
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university (i.e. American, European or another recognized equivalent qualification)
- Proficiency in the English Language
In addition to the above, final admission decision also weighs previous teaching and research experience, any other relevant postgraduate qualifications, and references.
Course assessment usually comprises of a comprehensive final exam and continuous assessment. Continuous assessment can include amongst others, mid-terms, projects, forum participation.
Letter grades are calculated based on the weight of the final exam and the continuous assessment and the actual numerical marks obtained in these two assessment components. Based on the course grades the student’s semester grade point average (GPA) and cumulative point average (CPA) are calculated.
The student must complete 90 ECTS and all programme requirements.
A minimum cumulative grade point average (CPA) of 2.0 is required. Thus, although a ‘D-‘ is a PASS grade, in order to achieve a CPA of 2.0 an average grade of ‘C’ is required.
Upon successful completion of this programme, the students should be able to:
- Critically evaluate the basic theoretical concepts of the interrelated fields of Adult Education and Vocational Education and Training respectively.
- Recognize of the variety of programs and structures that nowadays provide chances of lifelong learning as well as vocational education and training.
- Take advantage of ICTs as basic tools for providing contemporary forms of education and training falling within the realm of this program’s interests.
- Identify the education principles that can improve teaching effectiveness, as well as to compare the suitability of various teaching models for certain learning conditions (individual, group work, formal, non-formal).
- Use both quantitative and qualitative research approaches for exploring various relevant research questions.
- Realize the trends in the fields of Adult Education and the initial and continuing vocational education and training as results of broader trends in the field of European policy-making and its national recontextualizations.
Scholarships - Financial Aid
The University offers scholarships and financial aid to full-time students, in the form of academic merit scholarships, financial-aid assistance, athletic scholarships, and on-campus work-study programs.
About the School
UNIC is the largest university in Cyprus, with over 12,000+ students, from over 70 countries across the globe, coming together in an innovative and transformative learning space.