Master of Arts in Sociology
The Master of Arts in Sociology is designed to provide students with advanced and up-dated instruction in quantitative and qualitative techniques of sociological research, statistics, and theory. Students will develop the advanced professional skills necessary to analyze social issues in applied settings. These skills include research grant writing, program evaluation, impact assessment, and community-based research. Students pursuing the MA in Sociology may specialize in Environment & Social Change & Development, Stratification, Culture & Institutions, or Applied Sociology.
- Degree Type: Master of Arts (M.A.)
- Length: 36 Credit Hours
- Enrollment: Fall, Spring
- Tuition/Costs: Approximate Cost (12 Semester Hours) $5,862.00
Students seeking admission to the graduate program in Sociology must submit the following documents to the Office of Graduate Admissions:
- Graduate Application
- Application fee
- Official transcripts from the baccalaureate degree-granting institution (minimum 3.0 overall GPA)
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- Letter of intent*
- Two letters of recommendation
- Writing sample
Students will be admitted for the Fall and Spring semesters (no summer admissions). The application deadline for Spring enrollment is December 1st; the application deadline for Fall enrollment is August 15th.
Note: Admission to the MA Program in Sociology is competitive and the number of available positions is limited.
* The Letter of Intent is your opportunity to discuss your fit with the program offered at Sam Houston State University. While you have a significant amount of freedom to discuss anything you would like in your letter of intent, you may want to address your short-term and long-term academic/professional goals, why you would like to attend our program, and why your interests fit with our program. The letter should not exceed 750 words.
The Master of Arts in Sociology requires a minimum of 37 hours of graduate credit, 31 of which must be in Sociology and must be in courses numbered 5000. M.A. candidates in Sociology are expected to develop the advanced professional skills necessary to analyze social issues in applied settings. These skills include research grant writing, program evaluation, impact assessment, and community-based research.
Students can select between a Thesis Option and a Comprehensive Exam Option.
Thesis Option (37 semester hours)
- Must complete 19 hours of Core Requirements including SOCI 6098 and SOCI 6099
- Minimum of 18 credit hours of Sociology Electives
Comprehensive Exam Option (37 semester hours)
- Must complete 13 hours of Core Requirements
- Minimum of 24 hours of Sociology Electives
- Must pass the comprehensive exam
About the School
For more than 137 years, Sam Houston State University has been preparing students for meaningful lives of achievement. Its motto, “The Measure of a Life is its Service,” echoes across SHSU’s seven col ... Read More