Is the Education Degree Right for You?
Do you constantly try to improve yourself personally and professionally? Do you enjoy helping and teaching others in a variety of different topics? With an MA in Education from USF Sarasota-Manatee, you can obtain the training that you need to make a career switch, or to land the right job for you. This program is designed for the working professional who is looking for more training and opportunities for career advancement in education.
This selective degree program has a concentration in Online Teaching and Learning that provides maximum flexibility for professionals juggling the demands of their busy lifestyles.
The Online Teaching and Learning concentration provides effective online instruction in the fast-growing, innovative field of online learning. Courses include specific competencies and quality measures that ensure the successful mastery of online instruction.
The M.A. in Education is a selective degree program designed for individuals with an undergraduate degree and who seek to advance their career in an educational role in business, non-profit, and educational settings. It is appropriate for working professionals because classes are online. This program of study does not lead to state certification or licensure; therefore, students who seek teaching certification should consider the Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) Program.
The interdisciplinary sequence of courses enables students to individualize the plan of study consistent with program strengths and personal career goals. Research skills and strategies to improve education are included.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited university with a 3.00 (4.00 scale) or better GPA in upper division coursework; or
- Have earned a graduate degree with a 3.50 GPA from a regionally accredited institution.
- A personal statement (300-500 words) stating educational or professional purpose for pursuing this graduate degree. Because this is a selective graduate program, the personal statement will be closely reviewed in the decision process.
- A current resume
Note: students with an upper level undergraduate degree with a GPA below 3.00 may still be eligible for admission if they take the GRE and achieve a 1000 combined score (old scale) or 300 combined score (new scale).
- All applicants whose native language is other than English or who have earned a degree from an institution outside the United States must meet the University requirements relative to international graduate admission, (e.g. TOEFL scores, etc.). In addition to these university requirements, applicants to the School of Education must provide the following:
- An external, course-by-course evaluation of the foreign degree by an approved external agency, and based on official transcripts with cumulative and upper-level GPA calculations;
- A social security number in degree programs requiring practica or clinical education;
- Other information as required by the program of interest, (e.g. Graduate Record Exam scores, etc.).
A master’s degree in Education at USF Sarasota-Manatee puts you on the road to a great career in a variety of different areas. The Online Teaching and Learning concentration will prepare you to be on the cutting edge of teaching in an online environment.