The Master of Science in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) program leads to initial/professional certification.
Track I candidates (who are seeking their first teaching certificate) must complete the 15-week New York State required student teaching experience.
Track II candidates (who have an NYS teaching certificate in another content area) must complete 20 days of clinical practice experience within an ESL Pre-K–12 school environment. Professional Certification in New York State requires three years of teaching experience.
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Fast Facts
- Provides the content and pedagogical skills to teach a second language
- Provides learner-centred TESOL programs
- Provides faculty guidance and support
By the end of this program, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a solid content knowledge base that enables them to deliver effective educational and professional services based on current research, theory, and practice
- Employ multiple pedagogical and professional strategies and tools to enable them to be effective practitioners in educational settings and deliver services that promote students’ intellectual, social, and emotional development
- Understand the diverse cultural, linguistic, learning, and social strengths and needs of all populations, and incorporate and demonstrate sensitivity to the richness of diverse cultures when providing educational and other school services
- Employ technology to deliver information, instruction, and professional services to all members of the school community
- Reflect on professional practice to make educational decisions and enhance student learning
- Demonstrate positive dispositions that enable them to work as effective educators, citizens, and practitioners within the school and a broader community
TESOL Program Goals
Candidates in the M.S. Program in TESOL are expected to acquire the knowledge, skills, and professionalism necessary to meet the English language and content area needs of English Language Learners in inclusive or mainstream classrooms, in urban and/or suburban settings. Program participants, with faculty guidance and support, are expected to become reflective practitioners and develop expertise in the following areas:
- Develop the necessary skills, attitudes, and sensitivities to understand that language is a comprehensive and complex system of communication and use such knowledge to meet the educational needs of English Language Learners from diverse cultural backgrounds and learning styles, who are foreign-born, or who come from homes where a language other than English is spoken, who are mainstream or students with disabilities.
- Understand the importance and impact that culture and cultural identity have on family relationships, including those of extended families, and students.
- Understand how assessment informs instruction in determining the needs of the whole child, academically, psychologically, socially, culturally, and linguistically and to apply such knowledge in planning for instruction, based on the students’ linguistic assessment and second-language teaching strategies and in accordance with the New York State and National Core Learning Standards.
- Become lifelong learners of emerging research and technologies, able to apply sound criteria in selecting and adapting materials and approaches that support the effective teaching of diverse linguistic populations.
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) M.S. Curriculum
Program and Course Requirements for Master of Science in TESOL - Initial Certificate
Track I 36 Credits
Master of Science in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages - Professional Certificate
Track II 33 Credits
Track I: Program and Course Requirements for Master of Science in TESOL - Initial Certificate
- EDUC 501 Education in Today's Schools
- EDUC 504 Cltrl Prspctvs Tchng Lrng Prcs
- EDUC 505 Tchng English as 2nd Lang
- EDUC 506 Ed Evl/Assmt ECldhd-Adol&Dsabl
- EDUC 507 Aprchs Lit: EChldhd-Adolescenc
- EDUC 508 Thry & Prctc Blngl Ed
- EDUC 509 Lngstcs & Lang Dvlpmnt
- EDUC 590 Teach Writing/Writing Process
- EDUC 616 Thry/Prac 2nd Lng Tch Std Disb
- EDUC 629 Mdrn Eng Strct/Tch Eng 2nd Lg
- EDUC 636 Mth/Mtrls Tch Eng 2nd Lg PK-12
- EDUC 709 Student Teaching Experience