The joint master in Sustainable Energy Systems is a taught multi-disciplinary international programme suitable for applicants from engineering, architecture, planning and other relevant backgrounds, intended to incorporate the latest developments not only in the international scientific field but also in the European and national regulatory and legal framework. Students will also be acquainted with the required know-how for monitoring and evaluating the energy efficiency of building systems, of buildings, of renewable and conventional energy systems and of indoor environmental quality conditions, in accordance to legal and best-practice requirements, so as to be able to carry out energy renovation, retrofitting and refurbishment projects. Furthermore, they will learn to evaluate, by means of applying standards and models, the environmental performance of buildings, as needed in order to implement the environmental labeling schemes. The Programme is designed to stimulate and encourage novel and imaginative solutions with respect to their implementation in a real market and a rapidly developing economic environment, surrounding the energy sector and the built environment. The Programme involves theoretical and hands-on learning methods aiming at producing skilled professionals who will be able to effectively enter the competitive European market of energy experts. Graduates of the programme acquire a strong qualification that assists them in the professional progress. The degree greatly enhances the employability of our graduates in public and semi-public organizations, whose work is related to the implementation of energy and environment-related legislation and to the operation of the energy market, or in the power generation, the construction and the building materials industries. The programme is composed by 90 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System). The programme is offered jointly by the Open University of Cyprus and the Frederick University.
For the successful completion of the Master programme, students must follow and successfully pass examinations in twelve (12) Modules (credited with 5 ECTS per module) a Capstone Project (credited 10 ECTS ) and a Master Thesis A and B. All modules are compulsory. Students are required to prepare two written assignments in each Module under the supervision and guidance of a tutor and if they gain the necessary grade they become eligible to participate in the final exam. The University's academic year begins in mid-September and ends in June, with the final written exams at the end of each Semester, i.e. January and May. The selection of 30 ECTS per semester is equivalent to full-time, whereas the selection of fewer than 30 ECTS, students are considered as part-time. Part-time students are suggested to choose at least two modules in each semester. Modules offered: Year 1 Semester 1
The above modules are offered only in the first semester, therefore part-time students may take the above modules only during the first semester of each academic year. Semester 2 The above modules are offered only in the second semester, therefore part-time students may take the above modules only during the second semester of each academic year. To register for the module SES701A-Master Thesis I, students must complete the module SES 515. Year 2 Semester 1 Students are suggested to select the above modules after successfully completing the modules offered in Year 1. Part-time students may take the above modules only during the first semester of each academic year. To register for the module SES701B-Master Thesis II, students must complete the module SES 701A-Master Thesis I. Students may select the modules SES 611 & SES612 in parallel with SES701B.Modules Offered During the Academic Year 2017-2018: Fall Semester
- SES511 - Introduction to Energy Technology Systems
- SES512 - Renewable Energy for the Built Environment
- SES515 - Capstone Project
- SES612 - Environmental Impact Assessment
- SES614 - Energy demand management
- SES701A - Master Thesis I
- SES701B - Master Thesis II
- SES521 - Energy Design of Buildings
- SES522 - Energy Audits
- SES611 - Energy and Environmental Policies
- SES701A - Master Thesis I
- SES701B - Master Thesis II
- Applicants must hold an undergraduate degree from a valid/recognized higher education institution.
- All candidates must have a very good knowledge of the English language in order to be able to attend successfully the programme.
- Competency in the use of computers
- Recent Engineering, Architecture, Town Planning, and graduates from other pertinent fields, seeking higher and focused education before entering the market.
- Professionals with experience in the field who wish to reorient their career in the topics covered by the programme.
- Professionals in the public and semi-public sector, related to the implementation of energy and energy-related legislation and the operation of the energy market.
- Professionals in power generation, the construction and the building materials industries.
EmployabilityEmployment opportunities include the following:
- Engineering consulting companies which deal with the design and commissioning of renewable energy power plants and sustainable energy systems Construction industry for buildings’ energy design, performance certification and auditing
- Public sector in energy and environment related departments (Energy Service, Environmental Service)
- Private and public sector as environmental and energy managers
- Finance industry as technical consultants for energy and environment projects
ApplicationsThe application period for the 2017 - 2018 academic year will begin on the 8th of February 2017 until 5th of September 2017. The applications are submitted only online, through the University's web portal: https://applications.ouc.ac.cy/admissions?sap-language=ENCost & FeesThe tuition fees for each Module (Thematic Unit) amount to 330€, while the Capstone project, the Master Thesis A and B amount to 680€ each. The tuition fees for the completion of the Master programme in "Sustainable Energy Systems" amount to 6000€. For the academic year 2017-2018, the University's Governing Board has approved a 10% reduction in the tuition fees for each Module.
|SES511||Introduction to Energy Technology Systems||5|
|SES512||Renewable Energy for the Built Environment||5|
|SES513||Renewable Energy for Power Generation||5|
|SES514||Power Generation Technologies||5|
|SES521||Energy Design of Buildings||5|
|SES524||Sustainable Built Environment||5|
|SES701A||Master Thesis I (Capstone)||10|
|SES611||Energy and Environmental Policies||5|
|SES612||Environmental Impact Assessment||5|
|SES613||Energy and Environmental Evaluation Tools||5|
|SES614||Energy demand management||5|
|SES701B||Master Thesis II (Capstone)||10|
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 20, 2017