About this course
The Master aims to introduce the student to the exciting world of drones, their advantages and limitations, and will cover the gap between the handling and capture of information from a drone and its real applications, training the student in the concepts and in the techniques to process and exploit the data captured by a drone.
The practices will be carried out using Opensource software that will allow us to carry out, in real conditions, the planning of a flight, the ortho-correction of the images obtained, the calculation of vegetation and lithological indexes from the spectral bands captured with NIR cameras, integrate information from other data sources, process LiDAR data and obtain MDE and its derivative products.
- Practice 1. Flight planning with Mission Planner
- Practice 2. Generation of orthophotos with PhotoScan
- Practice 3. Calculation of spectral indices with QGIS
- Practice 4. Handling LiDAR data with SAGA GIS
- Practice 5. Extracting information from an MDE with ILWIS
NeONBRAND / Unsplash
The syllabus is in continuous revision to adapt to the needs of a changing market, so it may suffer variations to adapt to the needs of the students.
Module 1: Aspects and management of drones
- Topic 1. Introduction to the world of drones
- Topic 2. Legislation applicable to drones
- Topic 3. Systems aboard a drone
- Topic 4. Communication systems
- Topic 5. Aerial work
Module 2: Techniques for obtaining information from drones
- Topic 6. Remote sensing from drones
- Unit 7. Geophysical techniques from drones
- Topic 8. Sensors for data acquisition
- Unit 9. Digital image process
- Topic 10. Integration with geographic information systems
Module 3: Drone Operational Applications
- Unit 11. Filming, auscultation and photogrammetry
- Unit 12. Vegetation indices and lithological index
- Topic 13. Thermographs
- Topic 14. Digital elevation models
- Topic 15. Other types of drones
Module 4: Computer tools for information extraction
- Topic 16. Flight planning with Mission Planner
- Topic 17. Orthophoto generation with PhotoScan
- Topic 18. Calculation of spectral indices with QGIS
- Topic 19. Management of LiDAR data with SAGA GIS
- Topic 20. Extracting information from an MDE with ILWIS
Module 5: Master thesis: It will consist in the realization of the memory of a project under the supervision of a tutor in which the competences and knowledge acquired by the student throughout the degree are revealed.
Solomon Montesinos Aranda
Doctor in Geological Engineering from the UCM and specialist in Hydrogeology from the UCM and in Geographic Information Systems and Remote Sensing from the UCLM. General Director of the company SM Geodim and associate professor of the ETSICCP of the UCLM. Since 2016, he is the Technology Transfer Manager of the Spanish Association of Remote Sensing (AET) with 30 years of experience.
Lara Fernández Fornos
License in Geological Sciences from the University of Salamanca, licensed in Environmental Sciences from the University of Bordeaux and DEA by the UCM. Master in Urban Solid Waste Management by the CSIC. Specialist in Quality Management Systems with 17 years of experience.
Manuel Erena Arrabal
Agronomist by the University of Cartagena. Master in Geographic Information Systems with ArcGIS by UCAM. Responsible for the IMIG SIGyT group with 32 years of experience.
About the School
Structuralia es una escuela de formación especializada en infraestructuras, ingeniería, energía y arquitectura fundada en 2001 por la Universidad Politécnica de Cataluña y los grandes grupos empresari ... Read More