This is an exciting time for healthcare management. The field is growing and changing every day. And few schools get you prepared for it quite like Mercy. The MPA is a 48-credit program intended for students seeking a broad multidisciplinary education in health services management.
The program has been designed to prepare graduates for roles as healthcare managers in a rapidly changing healthcare environment. The program is suitable for students who anticipate careers in a variety of healthcare facilities in the public, private and not-for-profit settings.
Health Services Management Fast Facts
- Multidisciplinary education in health services management
- Courses offered evenings and weekends
- Healthcare professionals as professors
- Speakers from the healthcare field
|PO1||The student should be able to analyze missions, visions, data and overall organizational performance to develop programs using research techniques.|
The student should be able to formulate a strategic plan for continuous improvement in a changing healthcare environment.
|PO3||The student should be able to assess aspects of the US healthcare system including political, ethical, legal, financial and risk management issues related to effective health facility operations.|
|PO4||The student should be able to utilize written and oral communication skills in accordance with health industry standards.|
|PO5||The student should be able to create a plan that facilitates the acquisition of a healthcare information system. Facilitate the system operations in a variety of settings within regulatory guidelines.|
|PO6||The student should be able to develop and present an effective professional training program.|
|PO7||The student should be able to demonstrate the ability to utilize theoretical and applied skills obtained during the course of study in the MPA program. This is done by participation in the culminating capstone experience, which includes identifying, analyzing and developing a comprehensive report on an issue facing the healthcare industry or health care organizations.|
|PO8||The student should be able to demonstrate an understanding of the impact of the law and government on the complexities of health care policy and the day to day operations of healthcare organizations.|
The master's programs in Health Services Management have been designed to prepare graduates for roles as healthcare managers in today's rapidly changing healthcare environment.
The Master of Public Administration in Health Services Management, a 48-credit multidisciplinary program of study, is intended for students seeking a broad education in preparation for entering (or who have recently entered) the healthcare field. The program has been designed to provide a global, in-depth education in health services management. This program is suitable for those students who anticipate careers in a variety of healthcare settings in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors.
- Successful completion of the full curriculum (36-M.S./48 M.P.A.)
- A 3.0 cumulative GPA
Each applicant must submit the following:
- Résumé with the names of two individuals who may be contacted as references.
- Interview with the program director or the associate director Students applying to enter the MS program must have worked in health care as a practitioner or a manager for eight years. Upon receipt of all transcripts and completion of all requirements and interviews, qualified applicants will be admitted and assigned an advisor.
Health Services Management M.P.A. Curriculum
The 48-credit Master of Public Administration program in Health Services Management is organized as follows:
- Core Courses 12 Credits
- Advanced Core Courses 15 Credits
- Health Services Management Specialization 15 Credits
- Culminating Experience 6 Credits
Total of 48 Credits
General Core Courses (12 Credits)
- MPAT 503 Law, Government & Political Process
- MPAT 521 Action Research & Data Analysis
- MPAT 531 Management Information Systems
- MPAT 541 Managerial Communication/Leadership
Advanced Core Courses (15 Credits)
- HSMG 601 Health Care in the U.S.
- HSMG 611 Health Care Management
- HSMG 621 Health Care Financing
- HSMG 631 HRM for the Health Care Organizations
- HSMG 641 Ethical Issues/Health Care Management
Area Of Concentration/ Health Services Management/Specialization (15 Credits)
- HSMG 701 Strategic Plan for Health Care Organizations
- HSMG 711 Legal Environment of Health Care Management
- HSMG 721 Measure Organizational Performance
- HSMG 731 Advanced Issues/Health Services Management
Capstone Experience (6 Credits)
- HSMG 801 Internship Experience
- HSMG 811 Capstone Project Health Service Management
The MPA in Health Services Management prepares the graduate for management positions in a variety of healthcare organizations including hospitals, health centers, physician's offices, and other health and human service agencies.
Examples of career titles include Health Service Administrator, Medical Center/Health Agency Director, Department Head/Coordinator, Manager/Registration and Scheduling and Director/Planning and Assessment.
About the School
Mercy offers more than 90 undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate programs within five schools: Business, Education, Health and Natural Sciences, Liberal Arts and Social and Behavioral Scien ... Read More