University of Nicosia
- Duration of study (years): 1.5 year.
- Title of Study: Arts Sciences and Education (MEd, 3 semesters)
- Level of Title of Study: Postgraduate (2nd Cycle of Studies)
- Language of instruction: Greek
- Study Mode: Remote
- Minimum Credits: 30
- Minimum European Credit Units (ECTS): 90
The purpose of the program is twofold. On the one hand, help the student to acquire deep knowledge in the field of specialization through (a) the monitoring of educational courses in an advanced level, (b) study the relevant literature, and (c) interaction with Faculty and other students. On the other, the program aims at fostering research skills through (a) the monitoring of specific quantitative and qualitative research courses, (b) small scale investigations in the various courses and / or drafting Master Thesis, and (c) participation in seminars / conferences research content. In general, the overall aim of the program is to help the student to become an independent thinker and scientist educator.
- Preparing the education system managers with a deeper knowledge in the Arts and in their teaching.
- To monitor the progress of modern research into the teaching of Arts and familiarize themselves with the necessary research and methodological tools.
- To acquire specialized knowledge, methods and approaches that will help them innovate in the field of the arts and their teaching.
- Acquire skills to manage practical aspects of the teaching of the arts.
- Select and produce teaching materials based on current teaching trends of Music and Fine Arts.
Graduates of the program have the following options:
- Seek administrative position at school level (e.g. Manager, Assistant Manager) and / or the Ministry of Education and Culture (eg Inspector).
- Work as educators at the Pedagogical Institute.
- To occupy an academic position in a higher education institution.
Access to Further Studies
Graduates of the program can pursue doctoral studies.
- Deepen in the basic bibliography of the Direction.
- Understand the basic concepts, principles and models of the Direction that they chose and transfer this knowledge into the school context.
- To examine critically the results of research in the direction and their implications for the problems faced by the school unit and the educational system.
- Identify problems at school and system level and plan research to address them.
- To analyze critical educational problems by examining their sociological, psychological and philosophical dimensions and to plan action to address them.
- Take leadership roles related to the Direction to improve existing practices or introduce new processes.
- To contribute to the modernization of practices in the direction, eg. School administration, quality teaching, inclusive education.
- Apply skills acquired to deal with everyday problems, eg. Student / system / program evaluation, planning and decision making, communication with internal and external audiences, guidance, training and development.
- Make use of human capital when introducing innovations and introducing new practices and processes.
- To act as agents of change and innovation and to support improvement efforts.
See 27 more programs offered by University of Nicosia »
This course is