Get an introduction to group music-making and the social contexts in which musicians participate.
Understand how to make music effectively with others
This online course will help you reflect on your own music-making activities and the way you interact with other musicians.
Firstly, you’ll explore basic concepts in group music-making and the social contexts in which musicians participate.
You’ll learn about group music-making across a range of genres and the principles behind successful rehearsal preparation.
You’ll develop practical and communication skills relevant to a range of collaborative music-making contexts.
Finally, you’ll understand how to convey your own artistic identity through a range of music-making contexts.
What topics will you cover?
- Social contexts of music-making
- Principles behind successful group music-making
- Effective rehearsal preparation
- Individual and collective identity in group music-making
- Communicative practices in group music-making
- Music consumption in society
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
- 27 July 2020
- 14 September 2020
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Reflect on your own music-making practice in relation to the cultural and social contexts in which other musicians participate.
- Describe the principles behind successful rehearsal preparation.
- Demonstrate awareness of communicative practices in group music-making.
- Explain how individual and collective artistic identities are conveyed in a range of music-making contexts.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for musicians who want to develop their skills in group music-making.
Who will you learn with?
Dario van Gammeren
I am a classical guitarist and a Lecturer in Music. I teach at Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance, the Royal Northern College of Music and the Open University.
I am a pianist and composer, teaching at Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance. I'm particularly interested in contemporary music and in new approaches to learning and teaching.
Who developed the course?
Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance is the UK’s only conservatoire of music and contemporary dance, providing specialist training to the future musicians and dancers of the 21st century.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.