What is special about this course?
If you want to progress into a managerial role in rural development, this postgraduate course in Sustainable Rural Development is for you.
You will study social, environmental, economic and professional development, and community engagement issues in the context of managing rural development.
The MSc Sustainable Rural Development can be studied online from anywhere in the world.
- Gain practical experience in understanding current rural development issues and working with communities.
- Develop key research and policy skills.
- Study individual modules for personal or professional development, or work towards the PgCert, PgDip or full masters degree.
- Study online, full time or part-time when and where it suits you, within the UK and internationally.
- Honours degree or ordinary degree in a relevant subject.
- Postgraduate diploma or professional qualification in a relevant subject.
- Other qualifications will be considered if accompanied by a minimum of three years' relevant professional experience.
- A bridging module is available to people with substantial professional experience, but no undergraduate degree.
*Funding support notice*
A limited number of funded places are available for full-time, Scottish or EU fee status students.
Postgraduate Loans (SAAS) (Scottish domiciled and EU students)
Loans for tuition fees are available from SAAS for eligible Scotland domiciled and EU students, and loans for living costs for eligible Scottish students.
- BSc (Hons) Environmental Sciences
- BSc (Hons) Archaeology and Environmental Studies
- BA (Hons) Business and Management
- BA (Hons) Social Sciences
- BSc (Hons) Sustainable Development
- BSc (Hons) Geography
What can I do on completion of my course?
On successful completion of the course, you will be equipped to take up management positions, both at home and abroad, in:
- The public sector (e.g. local authorities, public utilities etc)
- Non-governmental development organisations
- International development agencies
- Community trusts and community development organisations
- Conservation agencies
- Environmental consultants
- Tourism heritage attractions
- National parks and countryside parks
- Secondary school teaching on completion of a PGDE
- Research and development
About the School
The University of the Highlands and Islands is an integrated university encompassing both further and higher education.