Bring your career to the next level in one of the fastest-growing professions. Learn to manage logistics and supply chains to increase competitiveness on a global scale.
- Next start date: 28 September 2020
- Application deadline: 14 September 2020
- Duration: two years (part-time)
- Format: online, with optional face-to-face events
- Total fees for the two-year course: £10,000
Why this MSc?
Hull takes pride in its central position within the UK’s logistics and supplies chain network, with a thriving food and manufacturing industry and the major port connected to global trade routes.
World-class global organisations such as Apple, Amazon, and Nike understand the role of effective logistics and supply chain management has on maintaining sustainable competitive success, innovation, and market leadership. Therefore, it is no surprise that such supply chains have a tremendous demand for world-class supply chain managers.
Hull University Business School has responded to this global demand by designing an online masters degree in Logistics and Supply Chain Management, which deals with the challenges of today’s competitive business arena.
Analysing real-world case studies, with the option of attending face-to-face events, you will have the opportunity to master the complexity of global supply chains and the interconnected relationships among different stakeholders.
It is our aim that on completion you will have gained the strategic insight and big-picture thinking of international trade, commerce, and shipping to lead your organisation to success.
What you learn
For food, clothing, healthcare, transportation and virtually every facet of modern life, we depend upon a supply chain. This programme aims to empower students with an in-depth understanding of logistics and supply chain management by enhancing their knowledge of its importance and role as a source of competitive advantage.
- Become a reflective leader and professional logistics and supply chain management practitioner, equipped with the skills to address the challenges of a global business economy.
- Develop deep insights into best practices in logistics and supply chain management methods, tools and techniques.
- Equip yourself with advanced operational and strategic capabilities and competencies in contemporary logistics and supply chain management.
- Network with like-minded professionals and experience the value of diversity, the challenge of alternate world-views, and the consequent importance of being a competent communicator.
- Master, critically and reflectively, the complexity of modern global supply chains, managing the interconnected relationships among the different stakeholders and supply networks.
You study the following compulsory modules.
Logistic Systems and Supply Chain Principles (30 credits)
In this module, you will gain an understanding of the principles and practices of logistics and supply chain management and their interactive role within an organisation. Analysing real-life supply chains, the strategies and the complexities of management decisions involved, learn how to leverage your new knowledge to achieve competitive advantage.
Supply Chain Analysis and Decision-Making (30 credits)
Gain an understanding of the decision-making techniques involved in planning supply chain processes, forming a solid theoretical and practical basis for your analysis and modelling. In this module, you will develop innovative solutions to real-world problems as you examine the role and performance of information management and related technologies in supply chains.
Strategies for Sustainable Business Logistics (30 credits)
Sustainability can be a vital qualifier in winning business. This module will equip you with key insights on how to improve profitability through the elimination of waste. You will explore contemporary operations management as it applies to a variety of organisations, and learn how to demonstrate how the main theories and techniques of logistics and operations management can be successfully integrated to achieve sustainable development.
Supply Network Design and Global Logistics (30 credits)
Logistics and supply chain management is an area that, by its nature, has a global outlook and reach, with most logistics practitioners dealing with an array of international issues. This module will expose you to the international and local dimensions of transport, procurement, distribution, logistics, and supply chain management enabling you to address issues specific to network design and global logistics.
Dissertation (60 credits)
For your dissertation, you will have the option to produce either an academic dissertation or an applied business project report. This is a valuable opportunity to build upon and integrate the knowledge gained from the previous modules with research and project management skills that will prepare you for the complexities of the global job market. You will also have the opportunity to present your research at a postgraduate student conference, timetable permitting.
How you're assessed
All assessments for the course are based on coursework and submitted online. Your performance on the course will be assessed through a range of methods including:
- ongoing tutor and peer feedback;
- challenge activities and group discussion forums;
- written work, including case studies, reports and essays.
- A minimum 2:2 Honours degree or international equivalent and/or appropriate professional experience.
- An IELTS 6.0 score (with minimum 5.5 in each skill) if your first language isn't English (or other English language proficiency qualifications accepted by the University of Hull).
This programme has been designed in response to employment market demands. MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Management graduates often go into careers such as:
- Supply chain manager/planner/risk manager
- New product introductions manager
- Global operations manager
- Retail manager
- International logistics manager
- Demand/production planner
- Key account manager
- Strategic services manager
- Business analyst
- Global brand supply manager
About the School
Looking for the inspiration and challenge to succeed in your degree? The University of Hull Online is the perfect choice. You get the teaching excellence and career-enhancing opportunities for which w ... Read More