Consolidate your engineering experience and gain commercial awareness and management tools to take your career to the next level.
- Next start date: 28 September 2020
- Application deadline: 14 September 2020
- Duration: two years (part-time)
- Format: online, with optional face-to-face events
- Total fees for the two-year course: £10,300
- A minimum 2:2 BEng degree in an engineering discipline or related subject or international equivalent and/or appropriate professional experience.
- An IELTS 6.0 score (with minimum 5.5 in each skill) if your first language isn't English (or other English language proficiency qualifications accepted by the University of Hull).
Why this MSc?
We recognise that to succeed in a competitive engineering environment, managers and aspiring leaders require practical knowledge of emerging management concepts, commercial awareness, and the management tools necessary to deliver impressive, high-quality results.
By studying our MSc in Engineering Management, you will develop an advanced understanding of the management principles and practices needed to progress in an engineering organisation.
Our online learning model allows you to apply your new knowledge of best practices and techniques such as; Lean thinking, quality enhancement, project management, pricing and purchasing directly to your current profession.
Discover the practical benefits and positive impact an MSc in Engineering Management can have on your career today.
What you learn
Today’s consumer-led market is entirely dependent on the ability to manufacture interchangeable components at high volumes. As a result, the engineering sector requires leaders and strategic thinkers with an advanced understanding of management principles and the ability to oversee and analyse management processes and enterprise systems as a whole.
- Develop the ability to strategically identify and implement management principles and best practices to the operation of a forward-thinking engineering organisation.
- Apply techniques such as Lean to improve efficiencies, eliminate waste and improve your organisation’s competitiveness and business efficiency as a result.
- Understand how measures, philosophies, and cultures impact company performance and develop quality improvements from a technical and financial perspective.
- Build awareness of relationships and logistical challenges within the supply chain and deal with the implications of pricing and purchasing policies.
- Learn proven project management techniques and strategies such as Agile, Prince2, and ITIL to develop new production processes.
- Gain the skills and knowledge you need to be a successful Engineering Manager.
You study the following compulsory modules.
Engineering for Quality and Business Improvement (30 credits)
Principles such as Lean or agile thinking have their origins in the manufacturing world and have proven invaluable in reversing the fortunes of countless businesses. In this module, you will gain an understanding of the fundamental principles which underpin the need for benchmarking along with the tools, techniques, and strategies to ensure successful implementation. This module connects engineering and management and is critical to the success of all businesses.
Project and Financial Management (30 credits)
Learn how to apply financial theories and frameworks with an international perspective. Discover how to measure business performance using financial statements and develop an understanding of corresponding aspects such as risk and return, asset valuation capital valuation, investment appraisal and the management of working capital.
Management of People and Organisations (30 credits)
Explore the complexities of managing people and organisations. This module covers topics such as organizational structure, analysis of the boundaries of the organisation, the role of technology and what practices constitute the process of the organisation. Managerial challenges such as motivation, leadership and decision-making processes are discussed. You will also learn specific techniques developed to manage change within an organisation.
Principles of Logistics and Supply Chain Management (30 credits)
Learn how to manage logistics and supply chains to ensure successful customer service levels and operating cost compressions are met. Study best and worse practices which have been employed within manufacturing and service organisations. Gain a comprehensive understanding of demand management principles, sourcing and procurement strategies, transportation, distribution, and technology solutions.
Individual Project (60 credits)
This module provides students with the experience of conducting an independent advanced research project in the field of Engineering Management. Studying a topic of strategic importance to your organisation and related to your academic background, you will have an opportunity to identify and apply learned management techniques to make significant improvements within a commercial environment.
How you're assessed
All assessments for the course are based on coursework and submitted online. Your performance on the course will be assessed through a range of methods including:
- ongoing tutor and peer feedback;
- challenge activities and group discussion forums;
- written work, including case studies, reports and essays.
This distance learning degree aims to prepare graduates from technical disciplines such as Engineering and Technology and other numerate degrees with advanced skills in Engineering Management and an emphasis on industrial applications.
Throughout the programme, there is a focus on team-based approaches, written and oral communication skills, management of technology and continuous improvement. You will gain the global mindset needed to succeed in the engineering industry.
Roles open to MSc Engineering Management graduates could include:
- Systems engineer
- Production engineer
- R&D engineer
- Project engineer
- Quality engineer
- Business development executive
About the School
Looking for the inspiration and challenge to succeed in your degree? The University of Hull Online is the perfect choice. You get the teaching excellence and career-enhancing opportunities for which w ... Read More