- Duration (years): 3 semesters or 1 year
- Qualification Awarded: Master of Science in Digital Currency
- Level of Qualification: Master Degree (2nd Cycle)
- Language of Instruction: English
- Mode of Study: Distance Learning
- Minimum ECTS Credits: 90
Profile of the Programme
The MSc in Digital Currency is designed to help financial services and business professionals, entrepreneurs, government officials and public administrators better understand the technical underpinnings of digital currency, how it will likely interact with existing monetary and financial systems, and what opportunities exist for innovation in digital currency systems.
The programme seeks to fill an important gap that exists today between the supply of and demand for academic knowledge in the area of digital currency. More specifically, while the interest in digital currencies has skyrocketed in the past few years, academic institutions have been slow to implement academic programmes that cover the need for educating specialists in the area, addressing it in its entirety (technical and financial aspects alike).
The programme fills this gap and positions the University of Nicosia at the forefront of academia in this area on a global scale.
The degree is offered online to students worldwide and the first course in the degree pathway, "DFIN-511: Introduction to Digital Currencies", is available for free as an open enrollment MOOC course to anyone interested in learning more about the fundamental principles of digital currency.
The first class in the degree pathway, Introduction to Digital Currency, is available for free as an open enrollment, MOOC-like course, to anyone interested in learning more about the fundamental principles of digital currency.
The remaining 8 courses are offered at €1,510 per course, bringing the total tuition fees for the programme to €12,080.
- Businesspeople / entrepreneurs
- Financial industry professionals - bankers, lawyers, accountants, auditors
- Development professionals: Social workers, NGOs, non-profits, development experts
- Regulatory officials/policy makers
- Computer scientists who aspire to managerial roles
This field offers very good career opportunities. Digital currency is a field which is growing steadily around the world, and interest in such currencies is anticipated to continue strong. Thus, the global employment outlook is promising.
Access to Further Studies
The graduate programme provides the foundation for admission to a Doctoral degree.
The University of Nicosia general regulations for examinations, assessment, and grading apply. Course assessment usually comprises of a comprehensive final exam. Letter grades are calculated based on the weight of the final exam and the continuous assessment and the actual numerical marks obtained in these two assessment components. Based on the course grades the student’s semester grade point average (GPA) and cumulative point average (CPA) are calculated. For more information, please visit the Academic Rules and Regulations page on our website.
The programme is 90 ECTS credits and may normally be completed in 18 months (3 semesters). Students will be completing 30 ECTS credits in every semester. The minimum CPA for graduation is 2.0.
- Appreciate the concept of money, money supply, and how the present international financial markets and money transfer systems may be affected by digital currencies.
- Apprehend the fundamental concepts regarding currencies, central banking and monetary policy and the likely implications of digital currency
- Study in depth the issues, challenges, prospects, and risks of digital currencies
- Develop a conceptual understanding of the principles and mechanics of digital currency, including cryptography, p2p architecture and public ledgers.
- Comprehend the structure and regulatory environment of the banking, legal and accounting system and the likely implications of digital currencies on bankers, regulators, law enforcement and tax authorities.
- Recognize opportunities to use digital currency for innovation to solve societal problems in finance and society at large.
Scholarships - Financial Aid
The University offers scholarships and financial aid to full-time students, in the form of academic merit scholarships, financial-aid assistance, athletic scholarships, and on-campus work-study programmes.
About the School
UNIC is the largest university in Cyprus, with over 12,000+ students, from over 70 countries across the globe, coming together in an innovative and transformative learning space.