Take your place on the cutting edge of today’s evolving business landscape with our online MSc in Data Science for Business.
The course equips you to become a data-driven leader against a backdrop of rapid change, in which businesses are increasingly relying on big data to make their most important decisions. The Tech Partnership UK estimates there will be 56,000 big data jobs in the UK alone by 2020, yet 77% of companies say it’s difficult to recruit people with the big data skills they need. By studying our online Masters, you’ll be perfectly positioned to meet this growing demand.
As you progress on the course, you’ll develop highly sought-after skills, including:
- An understanding of the industrial and scientific relevance of analytics.
- The ability to apply data-led insights into strategic decision-making.
- Business acumen and advanced management know-how.
Real-world case studies and a focus on current business issues give you the opportunity to develop a deeper understanding of the use of data analytics in solving the challenges you'll encounter in the workplace.
The entire course is studied online, enabling you to fit your studies around personal and professional demands. You’ll learn through a combination of video lectures, live webinars and course materials that are easy to access wherever you are, whenever it works for you. Our intuitive learning hub also offers collaborative tools that make it simple to connect with tutors and fellow students, creating a rich online environment built around human-centred learning.
MSc Data Science for Business student consultancy project - University of Stirling from University of Stirling on Vimeo.
The University of Stirling Management School
At the University of Stirling Management School, the principle of responsible business, policy and practice is central to everything we do. This vision helps us to equip our students effectively with the skills to act as global citizens, capable of addressing the needs of society. As a member of the Chartered Association for Business Schools, we have strong links with industry and were recently awarded the Small Business Charter for engagement with local and regional enterprise.
Top reasons to study with us
#1 Connect with fellow students from around the globe and collaborate on real-world case studies and projects.
#2 Gain the data analysis and management skills you’ll need to make a real impact in the business world.
#3 Fit your studies around your lifestyle and take advantage of flexible learning with our intuitive online platform
Over the duration of the course you'll:
- Acquire knowledge, skills and experience for a successful career in data-driven roles.
- Understand the applications and implications of data analytics in organisations across different sectors.
- Develop knowledge and skills of data analytics tools and techniques for business decision making.
- Enhance your capabilities and confidence for championing data analytic projects.
- Enhance and develop critical, analytical, interpersonal and other transferable skills.
If you’re interested in studying a module from this course, the Postgraduate Certificate or the Postgraduate Diploma then please email Graduate Admissions to discuss your course of study.
The University of Stirling Management School is rated among the top 25 in the UK for research impact, according to REF 2014. In Scotland, the School was ranked in the top five.
64% of our research outputs were classified as world-leading and internationally excellent in terms of their originality, significance and rigour. We were ranked 14th in the UK in terms of research impact with over 60% of our research impact judged to have an outstanding reach and wide-ranging impact on the policies of public, private and governmental organisations.
Our MSc Data Science for Business online course equips you to make strategic business decisions rooted in big data.
Data scientists are becoming increasingly valued by companies who understand that good data analysis can help them to improve customer service, identify problems or opportunities in their workflows, and achieve sustainable growth.
To make sure you’re ready to meet the challenges businesses are facing, the course focuses on giving you:
- An understanding of the diversity of organisations, their process, systems and opportunities for the application of data science.
- Knowledge and skills of data analytics tools and techniques for business decision making.
- An ability to design and apply business research methods.
- The ability to understand the impact of global environmental forces on organisations, including legal and political systems; demographics; ethical, social, and technological change issues on data-driven organisations.
- Enhanced personal, critical, analytical, interpersonal, leadership and entrepreneurial skills.
The course is delivered entirely online through our intuitive learning platform. You’ll have access to a wide range of resources, including:
- Video lectures
- Live webinars
- Day-to-day support from online tutors
- Collaborative activities with fellow students
- Core module materials, documentation and reading lists
- Journals, ebooks and software
An internet connection is required to study this course, and our learning platform is accessible via desktop, laptop and mobile devices. See more details on the specific modules you'll study below.
You’ll learn through a combination of video lectures, live webinars and course materials that are easy to access wherever you are, whenever it works for you. Our intuitive learning hub also offers collaborative tools that make it easy to connect with tutors and fellow students, creating a rich online environment built around human-centred learning. You'll also have access to an extensive database of ebooks and journals, and free software such as Office 365.
The course uses a variety of assessment methods ranging from individual assignments, group assignments, business reports, online class tests, examinations, individual and group presentations and research design.
Assignments and essays are used to test research skills with a strong emphasis on critical analysis and reflective insights. The assignments also provide the opportunity to develop and assess your management communication skills and capability with key software packages, while presentations provide a test of oral communication skills, as well as providing another mechanism for assessing case study analysis.
Feedback on Assessment
Students will receive feedback on coursework within three weeks of completion of the assessment. Feedback is usually provided electronically on formal coursework. Feedback and Guidance sessions with teaching staff are available on all modules. These provide regular opportunities to discuss feedback further.
Dr Najib Murad
+44 (0)1786 467490
- Home/EU/Overseas £9,250
Cost for full programme
About the School
At the University of Stirling, being the difference is in our DNA – providing education with a purpose and carrying out research that helps to shape society.