Are you looking to build more financial management knowledge or move into the financial sector? Our MSc Financial Management will equip you with a broader understanding of finance to help you gain confidence in any role or industry.
|Study online from anywhere in the world||Network with classmates at workshops twice a year in Manchester or Shanghai||Taught by one of the world's most experienced accounting and finance teams|
The MSc Financial Management will equip you with the financial acumen you need to succeed and solve business challenges in any sector. Whatever function you work in, skills and knowledge in areas such as corporate finance, financial markets and financial accounting will build your credibility and ability to see the big picture for your organisation.
This part-time Master's degree will introduce you to sophisticated finance tools and techniques and give you an understanding of financial markets and institutions within a global context. You will learn how to:
- Understand the interplay between well-functioning financial markets and successful companies.
- Apply a full range of financial techniques to real-life business situations.
- Describe, analyse and interpret financial data from markets and companies.
- Search and gather relevant financial information from multiple sources, including companies' annual reports and financial databases.
- Offer data-based solutions to complex and relevant business challenges, for example:
- Evaluating the performance and riskiness of a company or an asset.
- Selecting valuable investment projects.
- Determining the type of capital a company should raise to fund investment.
- Analysing a company's financial strategy.
Who should apply?
The MSc in Financial Management is designed for professionals based anywhere in the world who are looking to build knowledge and skills in finance. It is ideal if you:
- Have no finance experience and seek a career change into the financial services sector
- Need to build more substantial skills and knowledge in finance to further your career (in any sector)
- Are looking to build on existing finance experience to progress your career in financial services (or a related industry)
- Foundation units in finance and accounting
- Units in more advanced areas of finance
- A final supervised project where you will analyse and exploit real-world financial information to address a complex business challenge. This is an opportunity to deepen your finance knowledge and apply the skills and techniques you have learned.
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3||Semester 4|
How will I learn?
This Master's degree in Financial Management is delivered through a part-time blended learning format. The majority of the teaching is online, so you can study flexibly at a pace that suits your own requirements and lifestyle. You will also get the opportunity to learn and share experiences with classmates from across the globe at face-to-face workshops in Manchester.
What does a typical course unit look like?
- Delivered online + three-day face-to-face workshop (either at the start or around the middle of the teaching period).
- Studied over a five-month period (total of 150 hours of study per unit).
- Taught from an applied perspective using practical elements, such as problem-solving, case studies, interactive activities and online quizzes, so you can apply your learnings immediately.
- Assessed by ongoing coursework with no exams (you will typically complete two individual/group assessments per unit).
- Informed by the latest cutting-edge research in finance.
- Taught by academics with extensive financial expertise and significant finance teaching experience.
When will I attend workshops?
You will attend one workshop per semester (four in total) at Alliance Manchester Business School's brand new campus in Manchester or at our China Centre in Shanghai.
Shanghai workshop schedule
|Year 1||Year 2|
14-16 September 2020
17-19 September 2020
24-26 May 2021
27-29 May 2021
A Manchester experience, online
Every aspect of our MSc in Financial Management is developed and delivered by Alliance Manchester Business School. This ensures you get the best quality learning experience, wherever in the world you are based. Throughout your studies, you will have access to a dedicated study advisor and digital services to support your learning, including libraries and financial databases.
The Finance Zone
From the moment you start the course, you will have access to Alliance Manchester Business School's Finance Zone, one of the UK’s most comprehensive collections of specialist financial and business databases. These resources are used by top researchers around the world and include Bloomberg, Datastream, Thomson ONE, Compustat, WRDS, Capital IQ plus many more.
Lukas / Pexels
Fees and scholarships
The tuition fee for the Manchester and the Shanghai intake in September 2020 is £19,500 payable in four instalments before the start of each semester:
- Semester 1: Reservation fee on acceptance of place £1,000, balance before the start of semester £3,875
- Semester 2: £4,875
- Semester 3: £4,875
- Semester 4: £4,874
The £19,500 fee covers your tuition. It does not cover your accommodation and flight costs when travelling to the face-to-face workshops in Manchester or Shanghai.
Early application discounts
- 1st early application deadline: Monday 3rd February 2020: 12.5% tuition fee discount (£2,437.50)
- 2nd early application deadline: Monday 20th April 2020: 10% tuition fee discount (£1,950)
To be eligible for an early application discount, you will need to submit a complete application on or before the early application deadline date and if offered a place, accept and pay the £1,000 reservation fee by the deadline in the offer letter (normally four weeks from date of the offer).
Alumni of The University of Manchester can enjoy special founding scheme with 15% off.
- 1st or 2:1 UK Bachelor's honours degree or international equivalent from an institution recognised by NARIC
- A Master's degree or international equivalent from an institution recognised by NARIC.
We expect that most candidates interested in this Master’s will have a degree in engineering, mathematics, business, management, economics, science or other relevant subjects; however, your degree can be in any discipline if you can demonstrate that you have good numeracy and quantitative ability.
We can also consider:
- Candidates with a 2:2 UK Bachelor’s honours degree or international equivalent, with at least one year of relevant professional experience who can demonstrate their suitability and motivation for this Master’s course. The degree should be in a relevant subject with good grades in quantitative subjects. An interview may be required.
All candidates will require a high level of English language competency: speaking, writing, listening and reading.
About the School
China and Manchester have enjoyed strong links for several decades and Alliance MBS was the first UK business school to open a dedicated executive centre in Shanghai. The Centre attracts China's most ... Read More