MSc Business Management (Oil and Gas)
Access senior roles within the highly competitive oil and gas industry by developing your managerial skills with an online Masters.
Oil and gas is a multi-trillion dollar industry that posted record-breaking profits in 2018, but the field is in a state of change at the moment with the shift towards renewable energy and a declining availability of oil and gas resources.
This specialist Masters degree is designed for those already working within the energy industry who are seeking to unlock senior management roles by developing their presentation, data analysis and people management skills while gaining the knowledge necessary to manage the transition to a world more dependent on other forms of energy production.
Modules that focus on management and project management will develop your confidence in business situations, and you will also explore key topics such as:
- the social, political and environmental challenges present within different oil and gas geographic markets,
- the socioeconomic impacts of disasters and crises,
- the important strategic challenge of matching supply to demand for energy,
- how to analyse economic markets through the use of analysis tools,
- the energy industry of tomorrow, including renewable sources of energy and contentious topics such as fracking.
Your course will culminate in a Business and Management Research Project, allowing you to plan, research and critically evaluate an oil and gas issue of your choice.
Why we’re great
- Designed specifically for professionals within the oil and gas industry who wish to improve their managerial skills
- Global recognition and validation by the University of Essex rated 29th in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019
- No need to take a break – complete this course 100% online and part-time around your existing work
The MSc Business and Management (Oil and Gas) degree is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 180 credits at Level 7.
Level 7 modules:
- Management: Principles and Practices (20 credits)
- Leadership in Practice (20 credits)
- Financial Decision Making (20 credits)
- Project Management Techniques (20 credits)
- Oil and Gas Management (20 credits)*
- Research Methods (20 credits)*
- Business and Management Research Report (40 credits)*
- The Future of Oil and Gas (10 credits)
- Business Strategy (10 credits)
* These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
Learning and assessments
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
Our courses are delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you will have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- multimedia lecturecasts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments,
- discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students,
- live Q&A sessions with your tutors,
- a comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals,
- support from academic staff and your personal Student Adviser.
To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, we cap our class sizes at 20 students.
Rather than fretting about exams, you will be assessed exclusively through assignments. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, completing reflective journal entries, or by submitting longer written pieces.
We are committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback through the following ways:
- Our assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent.
- You will always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme.
- You will be able to view your marks clearly in your grade book whenever you log onto the learning platform.
- There is a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work.
- You will have regular contact with your Student Adviser, with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise.
Our MSc Business and Management (Oil and Gas) course has an indicative study duration of 2 years which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options are chosen and module availability.
It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
Our academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
All of our courses have regular start dates throughout the year.
On successful completion of your degree, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex, Colchester Campus.
This specialist Masters degree will enable you to access more high-level positions within the oil and gas industry, making the move from mid-management roles to senior management and even C-suite roles. The commercial skills and knowledge you gain will also be transferable to a range of other careers within the business sector, including business management, sales, retail, human resources, business development and many others.
We know that many people from non-traditional backgrounds would succeed in our courses! That’s why we offer two different entry routes, taking into account your prior work experience and relevant qualifications. You will also need to meet our English Language Requirements.
Additionally, you will need to pass your first assignment set within the first three weeks of the course in order to continue with your studies.
Academic Entry Route
In order to satisfy the Academic Entry Route requirements for our MSc Business and Management (Oil and Gas), you must have the following qualifications as a minimum:
- an undergraduate degree from an approved institution, equivalent to a UK Honours degree, or a relevant professional qualification
Work Experience Entry Route
In order to satisfy the Work Experience Entry Route requirements for our MSc Business and Management (Oil and Gas), you must meet the following criteria:
- at least five years’ management level work experience
English Language Requirements
As our courses are delivered in English, high proficiency with English is required. If English is not your first language, your English ability should be equivalent to an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5. Don’t worry if you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification – we offer a free online English test to assess your proficiency.
Our fees are the same for all students, and anyone will receive a 10% discount if they pay the annual tuition or course fee payment up-front. Many postgraduate students who are UK or EU nationals living in England are also eligible for a government-backed student loan.