Our MBA online is an advanced qualification designed for students who wish to build on their business expertise and open up new career progression opportunities. The course will enhance your skills in several key areas, including the management of people, organisational systems, project delivery and management reporting. This specialist pathway will also help you to develop your personal and professional network as you study alongside like-minded individuals. The MBA programme is delivered 100% online, giving you the flexibility to study at anytime from anywhere.
Why study this subject?
Strong leadership qualities are recognised as crucial for directors and senior managers in the modern business environment. The MBA online will provide you with the theories, tools and techniques to become an effective leader in your organisation. As well as developing graduate skills such as analysis and interpretation of data, negotiation and persuasion and the presentation and communication of information within a team, you will gain relevant and up-to-date knowledge and understanding of the key issues in business and management.
Upon commencement of the MBA course online, you will undertake an induction programme prior to starting your first module which will enable you to familiarise yourself with our virtual learning platform and understand what will be expected of you during your studies.
The MBA is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 180 credits at Level 7.
Level 7 modules:
- Management: Principles and Practices (20 credits)
- Financial Decision Making (20 credits)
- Marketing Principles and Practice (20 credits)
- Operations Management (10 credits)
- Human Resource Management in Context (10 credits)
- Strategic Management (10 credits)
- Research Methods (10 credits)
- Management project (60 credits)
Module options* (choose a combination of modules equal to 20 credits):
- Leadership in Practice (20 credits)
- Leadership, Management and Development (20 credits)
- Marketing Strategy and Management (20 credits)
- Services Marketing (10 credits)
- Human Resource Management (10 credits)
*Module options are subject to availability at the time of study.
Teaching methods and style
Unlike a traditional university environment, our online MBA programme utilises a Virtual Learning Environment. The system is designed to track and manage the learning process in real-time and provides you with immediate access to your learning materials wherever you are.
This learning platform allows both students and tutors to actively take part in real-time conversations and you can listen to, and view, live lectures and seminars over the internet. Studying is carried out entirely online and the programme of study can fit around your work and personal commitments.
You will be supported throughout your online MBA programme by a dedicated Student Adviser and have the opportunity to regularly interact with fellow students and your tutor.
Methods of assessment
Our MBA programme includes both compulsory and optional modules, so you can tailor the content of your course to more closely fit your interests and aspirations.
We adopt an assignment-based approach to assessment instead of exams. Assessment for the MBA online will be based on a combination of written coursework, discussion contributions and work on a management report.
You will be able to see your current provisional marks from the start of the programme, allowing you to evaluate the success of your current study methods and clearly identify areas to improve. We believe that this transparency gives you the information you need to make the most of your MBA course. We achieve this by:
- showing your marks clearly in your gradebook, which can be viewed whenever you log onto the learning platform;
- the rapid turnaround of work assessed to ensure that your gradebook is always up to date;
- assessing your work throughout the module rather than waiting for end of year exams;
- ensuring you have regular contact with your Student Adviser; and
- the simplicity and transparency in the design of our assessment criteria.
We also have a policy of ensuring that work submitted by students is authentic. As well as the fact that all work is frequently assessed, we use a well established electronic monitoring system to check for plagiarism. On successful completion of your MBA programme, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex, Colchester Campus.
The MBA online will provide you with the fundamental business and management skills necessary to be able to manage and lead in the dynamic environments of the modern business world.
Popular career destinations for graduates include executive and senior management roles in business finance, corporate strategy, internal auditing, management consultancy, marketing and sales management, product management, research & development and supply chain management.
We have flexible entry requirements that look at both your academic and work-based experience as well as your motivation to do the course. There are two entry routes onto our MBA programme:
1 - Academic Entry Route
In order to satisfy the Academic Entry Route requirements for our MBA programme you must have the following qualifications as a minimum:
- An undergraduate degree from an approved institution equivalent to a UK Honours degree or a relevant professional qualification.
- At least 3 years’ senior level work experience.
- If English is not your first language, IELTS (Academic) 6.5 or equivalent.
2 - Open Entry Route
We recognise that you can gain skills in a wide variety of ways and that prior academic performance is not the only indicator of an applicant’s ability. Therefore, if you do not meet the minimum academic standards above, you may still be eligible to enrol via our Open Entry Route.
In order to satisfy the Open Entry Route requirements for our MBA programme you must meet the following criteria as a minimum:
- At least 5 years’ senior level work experience.
- English language proficiency should be at a level equivalent to IELTS 6.5.
Your application will be considered on an individual basis taking into account your motivation for doing the course, prior work experience and other relevant qualifications that demonstrate your ability to successfully complete the programme.
This school offers programs in: