The MA/MSc in Environment and Management program is an interdisciplinary graduate degree designed to enhance strategic decision making in the environmental field. The program emphasizes teamwork and focuses on technical and policy questions using systems and sustainability perspectives to prepare you for leadership and management in your environmental career.
This is a 42 credit, 2-year blended program, including three, 3-week on-campus residencies, combined with online learning and a thesis.
Blended Delivery Model
The majority of this program is experienced through online learning. Online courses enable you to meet the demands of work and family while studying. Using our web-based learning platform, you will access your reading materials, complete individual and group assignments, and engage with the rest of your classmates and instructors; online from anywhere. Each online course varies in length, with breaks between courses.
During the course of your two-year program, you will attend three, three-week on-campus residencies. Here you’ll interact face-to-face with your instructors, cohort, and team. You’ll have set class hours as well as homework and meetings outside of class hours, making this an intensive and rewarding time.
Who It's For
Those from all levels of government, business, industry, consulting and non-governmental organizations who want to gain skills and credentials as leaders and managers to advance their current career or launch a new one. Students will pursue either a Master of Arts or Master of Science based on individual academic history and work experience.
Applicants who do not have the formal academic education to qualify for admission may be assessed on the basis of both their formal education and their informal learning, in accordance with the Flexible Admission Policy.
Graduates of this program will have developed leadership and management skills in the context of environmental sustainability and will be prepared to apply their learning and lead change in the workplace immediately. Graduates will be knowledgeable and effective professionals in the areas of communication, knowledge, leadership and teamwork, critical thinking and global awareness.
Graduates of the MA/MSc in Environment and Management will be able to:
- Assess the environmental, social, cultural, political, legal, and economic elements of sustaining and enhancing environmental health and ecosystem well-being
- Develop and evaluate goals, objectives, and strategies, taking a range of perspectives into consideration
- Prepare, communicate and implement action plans
- Make decisions that require a broad understanding of scientific knowledge, policy and regulation, and leadership skills
- Solve problems effectively, both individually and as a team player
- Act as a leader who can meet the fundamental challenges of moving to a sustainable society
- Possess the skills to coordinate and integrate different perspectives that will help industry, government and the public make informed decisions that reduce pollution, conserve resources, and create a future which is productive, equitable and sustainable
- Possess a broad environmental vision and a sound understanding of environmental sciences and the dynamics of the public and private sectors.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 8, 2018