International Maritime Management (IMM) is a distance education course tailored to your individual needs. Whether you want to taste a module, several, or the entire course, our Master of Science is highly flexible in content, scope, and pace.
Have you studied or worked in a Nautical, Maritime or Logistical area?
Do you want to boost your career and expertise by studying flexibly?
- Study IMM and achieve an M.Sc. degree without interrupting your work
- Study during your active sea time in a highly flexible manner
- Integrate your professional competencies into your studies
Key Facts about IMM
|Degree||Master of Science (M.Sc.)|
|Study Start||March and September|
|Duration of Study||
Flexible, individual approach
Bachelor degree or similar
|Place of Study||
Worldwide, even onboard your ship
You can start to prepare yourself to study International Maritime Management. Contact us at any time in order to prepare your application.
To enroll in our program, you have:
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Professional experience of at least one year
- Acquired the bachelor's degree or the practical experience in a maritime/logistics context
- Appropriate English skills
Our semesters begin in March and in September, but you can contact us or apply when it suits you best.
- Enrollment for the summer semester starting in March: 1 December until 15 January
- Enrollment for the winter semester starting in September: 1 June until 15 July
International Maritime Management:
Is flexible in time
- IMM lets you choose how many learning modules you want to study each semester. You are also welcome to interrupt your studies should professional and/or private duties prevail. Most students study five semesters part-time to complete their IMM studies.
Can be studied anywhere you want, even on board your ship
- IMM is mainly based on distance learning which means most modules are completed by handing in home assignments. Attendance phases are reduced to a minimum of 1 to 3 weekends in Elsfleth and can be organized flexibly.
Integrates your professional interest
- IMM follows a learner-centered approach which means that you acquire theoretical knowledge by means of course books. These didactically prepared texts enable you to combine existing professional knowledge with new academic knowledge. For this purpose, real-life projects and cases arising from your own professional contexts are processed and solved; theoretical and practical issues go ‘hand-in-hand’. During the learning process, you will apply new methods and exchange ideas with your peers by means of student forums. Guidance/support is provided by us – your lecturers.
The given structure of semesters and the module order is a recommendation and can be varied as needed.
|01 Academic Research Methods||6 Credit Points|
|02 International Maritime Law||6 Credit Points|
|03 Enterprise Information Management||6 Credit Points|
|04 Maritime Business||6 Credit Points|
|05 Green Shipping||6 Credit Points|
|06 Cost & Yield Management||6 Credit Points|
07a & b. Maritime Management Applications
Choose two of the following:
|2 x 6 Credit Points|
|08 Case Studies||12 Credit Points|
|09 Master Thesis||30 Credit Points|
Recognition of Competencies
Do you work in a junior management position in the maritime industry at sea or ashore and have you already gained professional experience and individual key qualifications?
Have you already passed examinations and gained credits at another university on an equal level?
The Jade University recognizes existing skills and prior learning and you do not have to re-study the same thing. As a result, the duration and cost of your studies can be reduced.
What can be recognized?
- Achievements at another university.
- Competences acquired during your professional career.
- General recognition: On submission of the Certificate of Competency as a first nautical officer according to the STCW, you receive credit for the module ‘Human Factors in Shipping’.
- Individual recognition: On submission of a portfolio proving your competences, you can receive credit for the requested module.
International Maritime Management
- Qualifies you to work your way up on the ‘job ladder‘. You will be qualified to be promoted to an upper management level in maritime companies (e.g. shipping companies, terminal operators, consultancies, maritime banks, and insurers, etc.) or in the public administration sector.
- Enables you to carry your personal interests into effect, e.g. a change from a ship-based to a shore-based workplace. Others include obtaining the M.Sc. degree in order to work in the public administration sector or to proceed with doctoral research studies.
- Ensures you improve your key skills in terms of self-management, decision making, analyzing and presenting key information with words and in writing. This is achieved as IMM is based upon problem-based learning and includes your business-related issues as well as your professional experience into your studies to achieve practical value and mutual benefits. Moreover, it is offered completely in the English language.
Your Qualifications after Graduation
Upon completion of the co-operative work and study program of International Maritime Management M.Sc., you will possess:
- Ample and up-to-date knowledge about the maritime economy and international maritime law. The knowledge acquired during your undergraduate studies will be enhanced and extended,
- Competencies which allow you to manage maritime projects. These competencies will be a major focus of the Case Studies learning units whereby you will autonomously develop problem-solution skills under consideration of societal, economic and ethical aspects,
- Skills to interpret, assess and present results, key indicators, and models. In presentations, you will demonstrate your ability to draw conclusions from current research and applied solutions and to communicate your conclusions and the pertinent information basis to an expert and lay audience,
- The capability to reflect on the experience acquired in your professional environment in a thoroughly academic manner. Upon completion of your studies, you will be able to relate academic findings with issues that arise from your own professional area in an inter-disciplinary manner,
- Skills to organize your own life-long learning process. Upon completion of your studies, you will be able to acquire knowledge and skills autonomously and to apply these to your own professional environment, and
- A comprehension of the demands and possibilities of inter-cultural relations and international co-operation. You will study in heterogeneous teams and demonstrate your ability to assume responsibility in an inter-cultural work environment.
Would you like to qualify yourself further according to your individual needs and adapted to your professional context?
Or would you like to educate your staff in a specific area?
The Jade University offers individual modules and bundles of modules as individual further education for participants who are not interested in the entire Master study course of “International Maritime Management”.
The following certificates are offered:
Certificate of Academic Achievement
All modules of the IMM program are self-contained units and can be studied individually. The scope is 6 credit points according to ECTS (or 12 credit points for the module “Case Studies"). The module “Master's Thesis" is excluded.
Post-graduate Certificate of Maritime Law and Insurance
The scope is 2*6 or 12 credit points according to ECTS and includes the modules International Maritime Law and International Marine Insurance.
Post-graduate Certificate of Management of Maritime Transport
The scope is 2*6 or 12 credit points according to ECTS and includes the modules Maritime Business and Maritime Logistics.
Post-graduate Certificate of Management of Sustainable Shipping
The scope is 2*6 or 12 credit points according to ECTS and includes the modules Green Shipping and Green Ship Design & Technology.
The modules you have studied can be credited to IMM later and cumulated to a degree (M.Sc.) if required.
For further information on the offered certificates, please contact us.
“I really enjoyed studying IMM, particularly due to its flexibility and the focus on the practical, professional aspects of management in the marine industry. The course allowed me to gain a broader and more business-oriented perspective on the sector and its stakeholders, and it surely was also a key factor in my assignment as Director of the Swiss Maritime Navigation Office (SMNO)."
Roger - Swiss Maritime Navigation Office, Switzerland
“I really enjoyed the IMM course. I completed studies relevant to my career at my own pace. This was very important as a shipmaster of a Ro-Pax ferry on a busy short sea route arriving and leaving port eight times daily. The M.Sc. was a significant factor in my early promotion to Senior Master. Highly recommended to any who wish to further their career prospects in a short period.”
Paul - Captain of a Ro-Pax ferry, Ireland
"I highly appreciated the flexibility of the study program, which gave me the opportunity to study from all over the world. The curriculum comprises a wide range of knowledge for anyone working in the management of a maritime company and is an excellent complement to any practical maritime education. The course material provided was very helpful and the support of the tutors was extraordinary."
Anna - Lawyer for Maritime Law and Insurance Law, Switzerland
About the School
Human values, future orientation, good research conditions, and teaching quality are the cornerstones of Jade University with its three locations in the north-west of Germany. The Core values of Jade ... Read More